Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Will Russek - Relief Mapping

Cell Overgrowth

Concept

Continuing with Assignment 4, I wanted to create a composition with a complementary texture to the music or sound associated with. While digging for video content to match the music, I found some great 4K Microscope videos, and the fuzzy sepia tone color really caught my eye. The desaturated color palette makes the intense texture of the cells way more prominent. The focus is brought to the brightness and shadows instead of using drawing the eye towards a contrasting color palette. 

Process

The low relief that Ben put together, the Growth, seemed like a perfect theme for the tiny organism footage I found. I wanted the sculpture to be one of the cells itself, just an abnormal, oblong one.
I ended up using the 3D Object calibration technique instead of the camera calibration, and getting it to perfectly aligned ended up being quite tricky.


Music by me, inspired by producer glue70.

Glacier

Concept

To elaborate on the elements of the first composition, I wanted to see what overall cold colors would do for the concept. Instead of the muted warm colors of the light of the microscope, I thought that macro lens video content of ice and snowflakes would have lots of natural detail and beauty.

Process

The cold, dark palette that the video content of the ice gave me the idea for much heavier and darker music. Late Night Cig by Sokro sets the urgent yet slow-paced mood to the still visuals of the ice, which just further the depth of contrast. I liked the way that enhances this feeling of the unknown.
One thing that I do think would improve my flexibility of composition is recording my own Macro-lens video content. My goal next semester is gaining more skills in developing and manipulating my own video content in more creative ways. I want the production quality of my personal visual production to catch up to that of my personal audio production.

Music: Late Night Cig by Sokro
https://soundcloud.com/sok-ro/late-night-cig-14ap



No comments:

Post a Comment