Monday, May 1, 2023

Brittany Han - Project 3: Relief Mapping


Concept

    For our third project, I wanted to play with the ideas presented by the Janus sculpture in the projection lab. I interpreted the sculpture with the idea of a persons brain being remade to form a new brain. The two faces, open like a book with the brain on display.


Techniques

    After importing the model and its UV map,  I experimented with layers of materials and how they interacted with the shape of the sculpture, as well as how I could utilize the LED arrays to further support my imagery. 




For the first scene, I landed on materials that play like hypnosis instruments. Utilizing the Strobe material as a base, I layered the Noisy Barcode material onto the brain, curving the lines to make a psychedelic effect. Using the outline of the brain to help differentiate the two.

 



 For my second main scene, I used simpler materials to emphasize storytelling aspects. Using a babies giggle and calming acoustics to interpret a sense of new beginning for the brain. The particle effect embodying a soul for this instance.



 The final scene shows the newly formed consciousness in all its glory. The glow amplifies the accompanying audio in a big reveal. The brain now fully functioning and processing information like it should. I choose the cloud effect for the brain because to me it made it look as though it were moving.


Interpretation 


In case video doesn't work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpEZjWeeJ0g

I really enjoyed working with sculpture and thinking through different conceptual aspects, especially the way the lights were incorporated into the work.

I think I did a great job masking out the areas of interest for me in this project. I do however think that my SVG linework was underutilized, as I didn't make use of the network of lines that make up the front faces of the brain or the two faces themselves.

Overall, I had a fun first experience mapping onto low-relief, but I think I could have activated some other shapes  the sculpture much more effectively and fine-tuned the flow of the animations.

No comments:

Post a Comment