Sunday, September 10, 2023

Anisha Chaudhary: Projection 1 Backdrop Mapping


Concept: 

I chose this location near the McDermott Library because the animation that I am projecting has an element of fantasy to it. This animation is available to view on my website. The logline for this video is "a witch that enjoys breaking hearts". It contains a looping rotoscope of a young "witch" twirling their fingers over a floating, bleeding heart that is pricked with several sewing pins. The rotoscoped animation uses darks browns, blacks, oranges, reds, and blueish greens. I like that these colors contrast nicely next to the lush green bushes from the location I chose. I like the shadows in the original photo, however, it does affect the way that the image projects onto it.  


Photo Backdrop located near McDermott Library

Techniques:

Masking was a little difficult because of the organic shapes of the leaves on the bushes, but I still like the way that this came out. Although it is not perfect, I feel like the viewer can still tell what parts are "cut out". I want to figure out if there is a way to only feather the mask from a single direction, so that the top of the projection is sharp, but the bottom is feathered into the plants. 
For my imagery, I used After Effects to isolate the image of the rotating heart from the rotoscoped animation and then duplicated it into a "seamless grid". Within Madmapper, I mostly used Silhouette Luma as my blending mode for each projection. I felt it left the texture of the wall so that the projection looked a little more realistic. Outside of my own videos, I used MadMapper's MadNoise pattern and Caustics pattern to fill the blanks in each scene. These patterns helped make the environment cohesive. For MadNoise, I changed the back and front color to match the orange and blue tablecloth from the rotoscoped animation. I was disappointed that I could not manipulate the colors for Caustics, but I liked the mysterious, hypnotizing smokey effect for this scene. My final scene had the same grid of hearts but in a blue color. I purposefully reused my videos and elements in each scene change to make the full video one cohesive theme and to showcase different elements of my art work.  


Scene One: Heart Grid


Scene Two: Heart Roto


Scene Three: Rachael Roto

Interpretation:

I felt that this was a successful and fun project to start my journey into MadMapper. I liked the way that this showcased my art work and I do feel like there is a theme of magic and fantastic elements. One thing I need to really consider for future projects is the lighting of my photo, as it does wash out the projection for the Caustics and MadNoise effect. 

Anisha Chaudhary Projection 1 Backdrop Mapping


Link:

https://www.anishachaudhary.com/motion-graphics?pgid=l9lt8s5q-4518d483-a910-479f-ae65-3a61ebfc89fd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhU69FtZDW8


  


No comments:

Post a Comment