Monday, September 11, 2023

Haoyi Song: Projection1 Backdrop Mapping




Haoyi Song: Projection 1 Backdrop Mapping

 Countless Fragments 

Concept

The overarching concept of my project is that individuals are composed of countless fragments—fragments of memories, realities, and even dreams. Specifically, the first theme emphasizes that fragments of memories are not static or gone; they continue to revolve and play a role in our lives. The second theme focuses on the constant interplay between memory and reality. To illustrate this, I chose to incorporate curves, which serve to bridge the third theme: the amalgamation of an individual's memories, realities, and dreams.

Techniques

This is the first time I've used a computer to complete a new media art project. As someone who has long worked on 2D canvases as a painter, this project has given me an entirely new experience: a canvas that dynamically extends without limits.

1.         Find the location where the project will be projected and take photos.

The reason I chose this location is because the very first day I arrived at UTD. This building has been the place where I've spent most of my time over the past year. It serves as a sort of "cut" or "keyframe" in the movie of my life, signifying the beginning of my journey in Texas.




2.         Separate the images in the background that will affect the projection using Photoshop. Place these separated images on the surface layer to cover areas that won't be mapped.

3.       Using Testcard to mark the target projection area. 




4.    Use the zoom-out feature in Midjourney to generate 17 and 20 images respectively, based on the theme of each scene. 

Prompt for Video 1: geometric fragments flying, converging in the center, color gradient, transparent glossy reflection, mirror material, silver space, visual impact, small figures, digital art --s 250 --niji 5 --ar 4:5 --zoom 2 - Zoom Out

 Prompt for Video 2: c

lose up micro lense---q 2 s 750 v 5 ar 3:4 --v 5.2 --s 750

a Chinese little girl face :: 4 has beautiful eyes :: 2, close up micro lense, beatiful ancient Chinese architecture, auspicious clouds, goldfish, exaggerated waves, flowers, water flow, edge light, dream, fantasy, fireworks, vector line illustration, surrealism---q 2 s 750 v 5 ar 3:4 --v 5.2 --s 750 --ar 1:1 --zoom 2 - Zoom Out

 Import the keyframes (Scene 1) into Runway to generate 4 seconds videos.

Finally, use CapCut for video editing. Since the zoom-out feature was used in Midjourney, adjustments need to be made during the editing process. Change the parameters in the keyframes from 100% to 200%. This will create an effect of infinite forward motion or zooming out in the visuals.



5.    Import the completed video into MadMapper and combine it with the software's existing effects. Adjust parameters such as color, speed, and width.

6.         Screen recording.

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTJzbp2gI0s


Interpretation

As someone who is creating media art for the first time, I've found the entire process to be accompanied by both challenges and a sense of accomplishment. The image generation feature in Midjourney allowed me to realize my concept, featuring three different phases of myself in the video: the 'me' from my childhood memories, the 'me' in the process of growing up, and the inner 'me' in my current reality. Getting stable, continuous images through keyword adjustments was very gratifying. The challenge lies in the use of the software, which requires a lot of practice in order to become proficient with this creative tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment