Sunday, April 8, 2018

David Rake - Project 4: Relief Mapping

Concept:
Jeremiah Baker, Ben Hoggatt, and I wanted to create our own relief sculpture to map. While brainstorming we thought of making low poly instruments we could light up with music. I remembered I drew some geometric art months ago and showed them it. Ben quickly made a 3d model of it, Jeremiah unfolded it in Pepekura, and then I laser cut it. Jeremiah and I pieced it together and created what we call the Growth Sculpture as it resembles a vine or organic intrusion on a building.





I planned to create one composition with Max MSP and another using more of the Google Deep Dream Processing I found in experimentation last project.

Process:
Within Max I used the previous setup I used for creating the John Conway's Game of Life for the tape mapping. I replaced the images used with video created by Falak Jamma. I utilized a new command called jit.pix where I could pull in files to modify the video. I utilized the brcosa, infinite mirror, twirl, and pinch files. I sent those videos the MadMapper to record them. I found the way of recording through Max to be unreliable as sometimes it would corrupt or not record anything. I applied the Spiral Galaxy looking one to the actual sculpture then made a dim kaleidoscope effect in the background.



For the Google Deep Dream one I took a picture as close to the projector's view as possible and cropped it to just the sculpture in Photoshop. I do not know enough about the technology of Deep Dream to create an animation the correct way. I instead slowly zoomed in through Photoshop and rendering images out as I zoomed in. I sent all of these images to render into the Deep Dream look. I then stacked all these images together and converted them into a .gif file. MadMapper works well with those. I used a different kaleidoscope from Max and shifted to a yellow-black color to better suit the Deep Dream results.



No comments:

Post a Comment