Saturday, April 7, 2018

Faith Daignault - Project 4: Relief Mapping


Peace of the 70's

Concept 

When we where first given this project, the assignment had first asked that we create our own sculpture and have it cut and mounted to be projected on. I had come up with a few ideas for my sculpture such as going back to my lion tap mapping and sculpting just the face. Which would end up being pretty neat, but when I thought about it further it would have been difficult and time consuming. So I was thankful when the professor gave us the choice of either using his sculptures in the class room, or create our own. I opted for the choice of using one of his and ended up picking the largest of the 5.



Process

Once I choose the sculpture I wanted to do I got started with getting the spacial scanner completed first. This would help me in being able to take the project home and not having to be in the lab the entire time. I made sure that the camera was place in the center of the piece and as close to being underneath the projector, mounted on the ceiling, as possible. I ended up using a 1/15 shutter speed to keep from getting any interference and a more clearer picture.



When the spacial scanning was complete I imported the object file of the sculpture into MadMapper and matched the sculpture to the spacial scan. Because a lot of the wireframe wasn't matching up, i decided to take the extra time I had in manually moving the points of the wireframe into the right position so everything lined up cleanly for animated lines. With the lines however there was a small problem. Because their was too many wireframe lines/Geometry, MadMapper couldn't create the lines for me. So I spent about an hour lining everything myself, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would. Plus I didn't line everything on the sculpture, just what I needed and thought would look good.

After the lines where finished I moved on to creating the first composition. I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted my contact to be but I did know that I wanted to incorporate my 'Sun Swirl' i created for this project using After Effects. But when I imported the video files into MadMapper, moved them around I wasn't sure what else to do to go with them.

When I looked at the sculpture with the medallion of a peace sign with the fist at the top I thought about doing a 'peace' related theme. When googling 'peace signs' they all came up with a rainbow tie-dye 70's/80's theme to them and decided to go with that. I first looked online for some animated gifs and found many different once and tried them out on the sculpture but none of the seemed to fit, until I found a rainbow mandala, as well some other rainbow animations that I pieced together and overlapped to create a neat and funky, 70's/80's theme.



The two mandala gif's above where the first two I found, and what I started with, with my first composition. I wanted to use both so played win the settings in MadMapper, put one into the eyes before ultimately decided to put both of them together in an overlap, making a really cool effect. I then added my 'Sun Swirl' I did in After Effects into the eyes and put it as a multiply layer to turn the orange to a blue to match. To add more to the composition I made the lines rainbow colored using another gif image before editing the animation effects to make it look nice. Once the background, eyes, and lines where finished I added a light effects MadMapper has with the object file. I synced it up with an 70's 80's mix I found on Youtube.



For the second composition I added these two gif images and overlaid them onto of each other. Making sure the opacity was correct and they both looked good overlapped. I decided to do something with the main madalion on the forehead of the sculpture and used the lines and animated them in a way so they rotated in different directions and put them in rainbow colors. For the eyes I decided to keep it simple with a rainbow pallet that rotates slowly. I then masked out the peace fist for both and kept the rainbow coloring.



Finished Work




No comments:

Post a Comment