Sunday, April 15, 2018

Falak Jamma - Project 4: Relief Mapping

Concept:

I've been putting together an interview style documentary about cultural identity within a small Ethiopian tribe and thought it would be great to use some of the footage from my subject on this assignment. Instead of using one of the two heads placed in the lab I thought hiding the face within David's abstract concept would match my documentaries theme of lost identity. I came up with a cool effect that I translated onto footage of my favorite anime as well, something a bit more dynamic.


Process: 

I wanted to keep my interview footage steady regardless of my subjects posture changes and head movements, so within after effects I tracked a 3D camera using points assigned to my subjects face.












Using a plugin called Trapcode Mir, I created an animated mesh which I planned on blending with my subject.







I added a blue tint  to my subjects footage and maintained the black values for blending purposes and because I wanted to go for a blue dreamy look.






I blended the Mir layer over my subject using the Stencil Alpha mode then added some glow and heat distortion to get my final look which I brought into madmapper.








I assigned the video outputted from after effects onto the calibrated obj in madmapper.


I used this same overall method with my second composition, but used footage from an anime and blended triangles I created from masks and the after effects plugin "Plexus".




Interpretation: 

Upon completion I felt like this assignment was overall my most favorite, the calibration process and the flexibility given with using Uv'd obj files gave my a ton of room to experiment and come up with something unique to me. I think if I were to do something like this again I would try to incorporate reactive music as well with the particles in after effects.

Composition 01:





Composition 02: 



























No comments:

Post a Comment