Wednesday, March 21, 2018

James Hoggatt: Projection 3 – Classroom Mapping

Concept
     This concept is expanding upon one of my looks from the last project. I wanted to show texture and scenery from far west Texas. I recently took a trip to Marfa and collected dozens of videos from inside galleries and all over the town. mainly looking for textures on walls, trains, and fences. to give you a feel of what its like to walk around there. I also went to Big Bend national park where I got footage of some of the most beautiful sunsets and mountains that I have ever seen. Originally I was going to make a look showing the contrast between footage of people working on making phones and electronics on one side of the room and on the other side of the room commercials for those products. I decided it was a bit too dark for the energy of the room.

Process
     I wanted to use several of the features of the room to accent my composition including the tape maps and geometry of the cabinets. I made sure to mask out all areas where two projectors were hitting and edge blend all the projectors together. Then went through and selected as many of the videos that looked good and fit with each other. distorting there color and speed to make things cohesive.


     In this video you can see that I have used video from a sandstone found there mixed with footage from out the window of the car and several of these videos have been mixed together on the tape design on the right. I used hints of pink and yellow to make the natural orange coloring of the land pop.

Final Product


Tunnel
     Credit to David for showing me the video that I got this idea from watching. I wanted to make it feel like the whole room was moving through a large tunnel. To do this I was going to need to make the tunnel in Blender and morph it around as it moves over the cameras. I made one small section of tunnel and used a modifier to duplicate it a couple dozen times. I then applied a path modifier so that I could animate said path. bending the tunnel on both sides of the cameras. Then I add three cameras two perspective cameras for the front and back so the tunnel gets smaller the further away it is. One orthographic so that the video I use on the 6 projectors pointed at the side of the room flow into each other without the distortion of perspective. The results were very effective and made for a very active look.

This is what the setup in Blender looks like. Notice that there are three cameras in the center and that the path next to the tunnel has two points with crosses as handles so that I could animate them.



Orthographic side view



Perspective front view




Perspective back view




And when its all set up in Mad Mapper and projected it looks like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment