Sunday, March 18, 2018

Omar Davila - Project 03

Concept

When the project was assigned, the idea of washing the walls reminded me of walk-through museum exhibits. When walking through these exhibits, visitors must keep moving themselves and their heads around to capture the full idea presented, as each piece tells a unique part of a story. This then reminded me of the visitor centers in different state and national parks I had visited, so I wanted to mimic that mood. I started with the theme of National Parks and worked my way from there, picking imagry from Garden of the Gods/Pikes Peak, Colorado, Grand Teton/Yellowstone, Wyoming, Grand Canyon, Arizona and Yosemite, California. I originally wanted to use personal family videos from my visits to these places, but found that -especially in older cases- the video wasn't high definition, and would blur harshly on some projectors, so I looked online for drone footage of these parks and began my project.


Process

After finding the videos I wanted to edit for the projection, I drew a diagram of the room in order to distribute the parks in a cohesive manner. Two of the parks have separate sections, so I used the 1st and 4th setups for those. 
Once initial planning was done, I opened the videos on Adobe Premiere and cut them into short loops. I then found sound clips of different biomes and animals to piece together into ambient noise, creating a more immersive environment for each park.
With all the assets ready, I went into MadMapper and mapped out every interesting surface from each projector; thus creating a mock-up of the room.

I then uploaded the videos to their corresponding setup files and laid out the videos in order of what I considered to be most important to least, placing the landmarks on larger surfaces and surrounding parts of the parks on smaller surfaces. I also included titles to denote which park is on which wall. In each setup, I also included a layer containing the ambient noise so that each computer could play the correct track. Inclusively, one setup contains indie folk music to bring the piece together with a woodsy-road-trip aesthetic. I lastly named the piece "Titans of the West".

Interpretation

[Video to come]

After finishing this project, I have a greater appreciation of interior spaces, as planning out this projection was a lot trickier than I had imagined. It also gave me several Ideas of future projections I would love to create using several projectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment