Thursday, March 29, 2018

Maritza Soriano Project 03: Classroom Mapping

Concept 
When it comes for coming up with themes for projects, I tend to figure out what music I want to use, and then base my visual off of that. Childish Gambino's "I.Flight of the Navigator" from his album "Because of the Internet" is one of my all time favorite songs, there's something so ethereal and calming about it. That song is an experience every time I listen to it. I had a dream where I had woken up and realized I was dreaming, tries to wake myself up, experienced sleep paralysis, and I had to just wait and look at the night sky in my dream until I could wake myself up. Flight of the Navigator makes me think of that visual for some reason. I also decided early on that I wanted my theme to be centered around Gambino's albums/music videos in some way, shape, or form.

Process
Hoo boy, this one was a doozy for sure! I spent a good amount of time in Illustrator. I really wanted to make this my own and try my hand at illustrating a majority of my project. The first thing I illustrated was inspired by Gambino's "Kauai" EP, This also inspired the other theme, nature and the different times of day.
After settling on the final color palettes for the illustrations, I exported certain elements separately in order to create subtle animated elements to these illustrations. I felt the last design needed a little more "oomph", so i made the sky transparent and took this stock footage of a meteor shower to give it that extra something. 

Interpretation 
This project was definitely demanding, but also gave the most creative leeway. However I think the opportunity to wash an entire room with projections that are your own is rewarding. Its also an interesting way to incorporate storytelling with your own media.

No comments:

Post a Comment