Monday, September 10, 2018

Jonathan Davila: Project 1 - Background Mapping

Concept

For this project, I we were assigned to take pictures around campus of locations we felt provided and interesting space to project ideas onto. This meant looking for spaces with unique surfaces and interesting angles. 

With the SLC Building projection, I wanted to use the colors of the campus. My first time walking back on campus this semester happened to be walking through those buildings. With the use of the campus colors, it was like re-immersing myself in the campus life.

With the Plinth Projection, I wanted to capture my thought process for when I work on calculus. I struggle so much with the subject, but it is a crucial part of my career. The lower panels in the projection represent the physical processes of writing down my work and proving them. The higher panels represent the haze in my mind that Calculus causes me and the lines represent the little, but firm execution i have regarding the subject.


Techniques

This was my first time using the MadMapper Software for any project. I started out by making quads with a checker pattern so that I could map onto surfaces with ease. This helped with making sure the projection looked more realistic by placing them in perspective angles. After I laid out all of the quads and line, I began to apply masks to cut out portions of the projection that wouldn't be visible. I applied the "add" filter over most of the quads to simulate a more realistic look.



Interpretation

This project has made me more familiar with the basics of MadMapper and I look forward to making many more interesting art pieces. Whether on a picture on your screen, or on a real surface of a building, projection offers one of the best ways to fully immerse yourself in a world of your choice.






No comments:

Post a Comment