Sunday, September 9, 2018

Paul Hinderliter: Week 1-3 (Background Mapping)

Concept

For my first Projection Mapping project, I decided to explore the buildings around UTD which don't seem get as much attention as the rest. I was also looking for spots which wouldn't be too complex or irritating to map on to, as a newbie to Madmapper and projection mapping in general. After getting my hands on Madmapper and playing around with it's tools, my idea for the projection evolved into using bright technological visuals inspired by the aesthetic of Tron and Cyberpunk.  


Projection 1 and 2 Origin
Projection 3 Origin

Technique

I began by mapping out the areas on the building I wanted to project on and masking out the places where the quads overlapped with other quads or elements in front of the projection. 


Projection 1 and 2 Mapping
Projection 3 Mapping
To establish unity among the elements, I decided to use a single color for each Projection. For both projections, I used the addition blend mode to eliminate the black backgrounds, revealing more of the original color of the building. Wherever a quad coincided with each other (the two sides of the pillars, the corners where the wall and ceiling meet), I wanted those projections to connect by playing the same projection, creating the sense depth.

Interpretation/Final Products

For both projection 1 (first half of first video) and 3 (second video), I decided to imitate techno and futuristic aesthetics as a way to illustrate the technological focus of UTD. The culture here, especially in ATEC, tend to embrace new technology and futuristic ideas shaped by emerging technologies. On the flip side, I wanted projection 2 (second half of first video) to be more cozy, illustrating the chill and easygoing environment on campus.

Projection 1 and 2 Final Product

Projection 3 Final Product




No comments:

Post a Comment