Monday, September 10, 2018

Megan Thompson - Projection 1 Backdrop Mapping

Assignment One - Background Mapping

Concept

For this project, I struggled to come up with a concept because I saw so many interesting visuals, I kept changing my theme every ten minutes. My first concept focuses on the uncertainty of our earths future. In this fantasy world, the earth is now a fallout zone and harmful chemicals are polluting the air.  While my first project is about the end of mankind, my second project is the polar opposite. Project two focuses on the human figure and form. The visuals along the top of the building represent the organic nature of our bodies and the world around us. 

Technique 

My first step was to take pictures of a building that I thought would "lend itself to spatial activation through projection mapping." I took a lot of pictures of different buildings and spaces that I found interesting and that made it difficult to pick just one for my project. In the end, I decided to use the Engineering building as I felt it left me with a lot of possibilities.


Since this was my first time in madMapper I watched a lot of tutorials on YouTube, however I found there to be far less tutorials about this Software than others such as Photoshop or Premier. Once I felt that I had a grasp on the basics I imported my media and got started. I spent a long time practicing masking out things that I wanted to be in front of my visuals, and I think it came out looking good. However, I still have a lot to learn. Once I mapped out all of my quads I went looking for visuals. From looking at my other student examples it looks as though some people make their own visuals, since I did not know how to do that I searched for visuals online and found a lot of cool loops on Vimeo.com. The artist goes by "beeple" on the website and I was amazed by the quality of his videos, especially because they are free to download. 
Considering I have never used madMapper or anything similar to it, I am proud of my outcome and think that I now have a good beginners grasp on the software itself. 



Interpretation 

While everyone will have a different interpretation of these videos my idea was for the ambiance of project one to be a little uneasy. I loved the game Fallout and I thought it would be cool to bring the Fallout to UTD through technology. My second project on the other hand was intended to spread a lighter message. I want viewers to see it and feel at ease with their body and mind. Overall I think madMapper is a really cool software and projection mapping is an awesome technology with a lot of possibilities, I'm excited to learn more about it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment