Sunday, February 5, 2023

Cheyenne Vallier Projection 1 Backdrop Mapping



https://youtu.be/FOhdnPbHHp8

Concept


The concept of this assignment is a direct reference to my own journey from the start of the pandemic to now. The white item next to the MIDI keyboard is a Clorox wipe container. Being a musician, the actual controller itself is a representation of the struggles I’ve encountered when finding myself. The image below is the original point of reference.


Techniques


I wanted to make this assignment personal to myself so I used the controller that I make music on. It was rather difficult figuring out exactly where I would project onto, but once I incorporated the Clorox wipes next to the keys, it made perfect sense. 


    When starting, I had to first edit my image to look as if it was darker in the background than what it actually was. I imported the edited image, and began placing my quads in the appropriate measures. I modified the guidelines to perfectly shape the area, then I masked out the part of the keyboard that had buttons. I feel as if this helped it pop more and feel more cohesive as projecting onto black buttons would not be satisfactory. Then, I modified the video clips in-app when I created the 3 scenes. That way, once one scene cycled through, the next scene could play. I made sure the scene was edited in MadMapper in a way that told a story, whether it be color changing or flipping the orientation.

The first image on the Clorox wipes is the virus itself,  which allows the viewer to recognize that this is about illness. Being that we are still technically in a pandemic, the context is easy to interpret as being COVID-19. The image changes from green to blue and with a different sequence between scenes, signaling a mutation may have occurred(variants). They are also replicated to show how it may not be as big, but it is still multiplying. Next, the keyboard projection is more a psychedelic take on the phrase “finding yourself”. I chose to use this pattern on the board and not the keys because I found myself and my sound by using the controller, not just one key. The change in pattern and color from this area also shows how even something inspiring may leave one in a rut. Although I love music creation, it become isolating when one feels as if they are not making progress. The static image it changes into represents this "rut". Lastly, the video underneath is a woman driving looking at the rear view mirror. The pandemic allowed for a lot of time for reflection, and I wanted to emphasize this. I used a person driving because, although reflecting is healthy, it is dangerous to focus on the past. It becomes concerning and more urgent the longer she looks at the backseat, because she is not looking for her future, like I was. 


Interpretation


I feel as if it is cohesive as long as the viewer initially focuses and recognizes the virus image on the left. In the future, I would most likely exchange the bottom map because I am noticing that some people might find it hard to see. Additionally, I would find a more clear and better surface to project onto. The MIDI controller was fine, but it did not leave me much room to do as much as I wanted on it. The bottom image of the woman in the car is also quite difficult to see, so I have learned to use bigger surfaces of areas later on. This is my first ever time using this program so in the future, I hope to familiarize myself with more techniques so I do not encounter as many hurdles.


Sources: 

https://www.pexels.com/video/covid-19-virus-image-in-a-magnified-form-4096307/

https://www.pexels.com/video/a-woman-driving-on-a-traffic-road-3704927/


No comments:

Post a Comment