Sunday, February 5, 2023

Rina Harrison: Projection 1 Backdrop Mapping

 Concept 

I love 2D Fighting games and I help organize and run large events for them, even going as far as to create my own controller for them. I wanted to show what this controller means to me by showing what I use it for on the controller itself, by using the many clips from games and events Ive played and gone to.


Techniques:

For this project, finding a suitable picture of my controller was one of the surprisingly larger challenges since while the controller has a lot of faces to use and project onto, its very hard to balance at a good angle for viewing. I'm not the happiest with how it came out but it worked for my needs.
    As for the mapping process, I started by placing Masks along the 3 main visible faces on the box, on the window and for testing on my computer screen. I set the Window as a preset pattern that would change with every transition but I ran into some issues with the stroke/border of that quad. The most striking thing about this project though was the copious use of videos and clips in conjunction to the Audio Reactive elements. Using clips from the last year, I placed them on my controller to show what this box was used for and what that meant. Inside this I also used the trailer I created for the event I help run in Carrollton as it is one of the biggest things I do relating to this hobby. I added the AR elements to match the energy of the trailer and I think it looks flashy with the loudness of the song.

Interpretation

In terms of how it came out, I think there are very clear things I'd want to change or redo when I'm more familiar with Mad Mapper, such as the window border clipping through 2 of the masks, the strange perspective for the trailer and some general roughness, but I think for a first project I'm happy with it.
This box is a labor of love, the tool of my trade, a commitment to self improvement and the passion of a bunch of people that want to do cool things and laugh about it with friends and rivals alike and I think using the video clips in that way is something that shows all of that in a fun way.

1 comment: