Monday, April 12, 2021

Adan Morales Project 3: Relief Mapping

 Concept:

I had a Game of Thrones Stark House 3D mask mounted on my wall but it broke a few weeks ago. This project seemed like an opportunity to reassemble the mask and project light onto it to create a new perspective. I stripped away the concept of the tv show and instead I focused on the idea of the wolf. I chose green because it represents nature and the outdoors while projecting flames onto the outer spikes to represent the dangerous nature of this animal.



Technique:

I followed the tutorial from two weeks ago and created each quad individually to follow the shape of the mask. I used copyright free stock footage of fire for the outer spikes and a green material for the rest of the mask. Once all the shapes were complete, I created lines from them and activated a chase animation on them. I changed my setup from last time too, previously I had been using a camera setup in a different room and streaming the feedback via Wi-Fi so I could see how the projection looked on the mask. However, the feedback was slow and crashed repeatedly so this time I set up the mask right behind me so I could just turn around and look directly into the mask and see how the light worked on it.


Interpretation:

I wanted to work with the concept of stripping away the assumption that an object represents something else because of the logos attached to it. Once you remove the Game of Thrones brand from the mount plate, this mask becomes a regular wolf. Furthermore, I could move away from the grayscale palette that is associated with the Stark House and incorporate a more colorful palette that would give the mask an entirely different meaning. 



No comments:

Post a Comment