Monday, April 12, 2021

Vanessa Le Project 3: Relief Mapping

 

Project 3 - Relief Mapping 

Concept

The concept for this relief project was centered around dreams and nightmares. The relief that I chose to project on were 3 pyramids that I made from paper and taped onto cardboard. Since my wall has an odd texture, my relief sculptures wouldn’t stay on the wall, so I pinned the piece of cardboard instead, and used that as an alternative “wall”.


Technique
The first thing that I did was create my pyramids and set them up with my projector. I had to clear some space in order to get the reliefs in view of the projector’s light.

I also wasn’t sure as to what I should have done for this project. I really lacked ideas starting off, but the idea of dreams and nightmares came to me when I saw a past project have eye animations on their relief sculptures. Although my project is more simple, I do like the fact that I tried adding more motion into my pyramids for the dreaming sequence and a different take on the nightmare sequence.

I used the spatial scanning technique to help with this project. Spatial scanning allows the MadMapper software to capture an image of the relief objects from the perspective of the projector directly. I found this very helpful. It allowed me to create animations in After Effects to fit with the pyramids in a precise manner. 

 

Interpretation

I felt as if this project was a little easier than the last, mainly because I didn’t have to focus on syncing with the music. Plus, the spatial scanning technique really helped with projecting light onto the relief sculpture and not having it bleed off the objects.


Nightmares

 
 
Dreams








No comments:

Post a Comment