Monday, April 12, 2021

Afifah Mazhar Project 3: Relief Mapping

 Concept:

For this project I wasn't sure what concept I wanted to go with initially. I know I wanted to do something that showed duality between the two videos while incorporating similar aspects. For this reason, I began by playing around with different 3 dimensional shapes to see which ones I liked. I decided upon a single, straight on pyramid. I wanted this pyramid to be like the source of energy for the pieces. That is to say, I wanted it something going on in the background with the pyramid tying in to it; rather than it being the main focus.


Technique:

The first thing I did when creating the scene was create a variety of 3D shapes and choose which one (or ones) I liked best. Once I decided upon the pyramid I set it up where I wanted it in my scene. Next, I took a spatial scan of my scene. By doing this I was able to map accurately on to the pyramid. From here, I aligned how far and deep I wanted my background to be and masked out where the pyramid would be. Lastly, I added my scenes and queues in mad mapper and got everything aligned time wise (making sure things played in time with the music).



Interpretation:

For this project, I based my project off of the music video for the song Shelter by Porter Robinson. I picked this song because I think it perfectly displays the duality I was wanting to show. The first half of the music video is bright and happy and shows a girl living in a fantasy world. Where as the second half shows how the girl is living in an infinite loop, forever alone and with nothing new coming in to her life. I felt this theme was especially relevant now, with the quarantine most people have been in for over a year now. When it first started everyone was out creating things like their own bread of coffee, but as it has gone on, all that's been left is solitude and boredom.


Videos:






No comments:

Post a Comment