Monday, April 12, 2021

Khadeeja Zulqarnain: Project 3 Relief Mapping

 Concepts:

For this project I wanted to use video to create something home-y looking and nostalgic to me. I used old video from a family trip to Pakistan two years ago and chose a song with an upbeat but calming vibe (Chaku Chidiya by Lifafa). The second comp is similar to the first but the footage being used is from over ten years ago so I thought of this as a kind of time machine accompanied with soft orchestral music (BTS Spring Day).

Techniques:

I wanted to create a more intricate mapping surface, but to me the content was more important than the surface in this case and so I ended up using a plain white box. 

I first mapped the three planes of the box using the plain grid. I then edited my videos into three montages for each of the planes. I then created a single surface to map my background onto. With this I layered a solid color, an animated surface, and then an audio reactive surface to create depth. I then varied them to create my different cues with the videos and my end scene. 

For the second one I did the same background mapping concept and instead of mapping all three sides with video, I only did one since the video was already edited and I didn't feel I needed to cut it up.

Interpretations:

For the first composition I only used white and green for the background because those are the colors of the Pakistani flag. I wanted to make the video look like it was jumping around and have them all playing at the same time to create a hectic feel which correlates with how it feels to travel overseas. 

The second composition is much more calm than the first and I used light pink/ rose-y pink for the background to make a reference to 'rose colored glasses'. I accompanied it with soft piano music (BTS Spring Day). I layered a cloud media over the video to add to the nostalgic feels.

The end scenes for both are white noise to emulate older TVs when they wouldn't have signal. 


Composition 1:


Composition 2:




No comments:

Post a Comment