Sunday, April 9, 2023

Brendan Paul: Project 4 Relief Mapping

 Concept:



For my project, I wanted to base my composition's theme around a electronic/futuristic idea. I chose to use the song 22h39 by DANGER as the core music for the project. The large class backdrop model would be good for my idea since it has multiple different shapes and a good wireframe. 

Techniques:

To start, I downloaded the backdrop UV model and imported to MadMapper. I then began the process of calibrating it. I ended up placing more than a few calibration points but I think I got the calibration down to a good level in the end. 
 
I then created lines for the piece using Adobe Illustrator and divided them into segments, mostly just a circle, and the background. After importing it to MadMapper I created multiple layers and masks for my various scenes I plan on creating. I then added a mp3 of my song and set the bpm to be automatically set by MadMapper analyzing the song. Would divide my piece into three scenes.

For the first scene: I set the backdrop objects texture to be a pulsing circle theme that I got from the community library, and the main emblem in the middle to be a cool virtual mountain range. I also put some sound bars behind them to add some noise to the composition. This is the beginning of the song, so it is calmer than the other two parts. 
 
For the second scene: I add more color to the sound bars and added a pulsing ring that I synced up to the bpm. The effect of the circular emblem is some interesting effect I found in the community library. This is the main part of the song so there is more color and more noise to the composition at this time.
 
For the third scene: The wireframe of the backdrop has a series of lines that I used to add noise to the scene. I had two different sets of lines, one white and one black. They were set up with controls where they would alternate their opacities to appear as if there is one line that is changing between black and white. This is the last scene of the composition so it fades to black after this. 

Interpretation:




I wanted to create something that would look cool with the paired music, almost reminding me of a rave or a laser-tag arena. This project was fun to work on since I got to become far more adept with MadMapper and its various tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment