Sunday, April 9, 2023

Reina Park: Project 4 Relief Mapping

Concept:



For this project, I decided to create a composition of my scenes to be themed around the brain in a vat. I started my project by using a provided UV file from the elearning folder. I chose the brain in a vat as an object to work on since the Janus sculpture reminded me of the brain in a vat when I first got to see the sculpture. I utilized the UV file to calibrate my composition in MadMapper to start. 







Techniques: 




I first download the UV file to start creating my composition. Then, I started calibrating the UV file on the sculpture by adjusting the points so the projection would match more accurately on the sculpture. 

 

 



I began by creating an SVG file in Adobe Illustrator to make use of the lines in MadMapper. I thought hard about how I could interpret and visualize the concept of the brain in a vat, along with the subject I chose to project on while exploring and making use of the MadMapper software. I also added an MP3 file to modify and adjust the lines and quads by adding controls that automatically adjust each component that I created as well as the musical elements, such as the beat and amplitude.





For my first scene, I used two different lines to utilize the SVG lines I created I’m Adobe Illustrator and applied two different materials: Akira Explosion and Astral Code. For the first line with the Akira Explosion material, I created a control list to modify the Complexity of the material along with the music that I utilized. I also created two different quads, one for the head and one for the brain, with different materials that are the Inner, and the Normal Map. I also added a control list to modify the NormalScale of the material to make it look like the brain is active.  





For my second scene, I utilized two different materials for my two lines, the Fractured, and the Organic. For the first line with the Akira Explosion material. For my two quads, I used the Kali Circuit material for the head and the Chanel for the brain. I also added a control list to modify the Trace of the first material (for the head) to make it look like the brain is creating electric signals through the lines, that I utilized the Organic material.  





For my third scene, I utilized two materials: the FlowerOfLife and the Iris for my two lines. I created a control list to modify the Speed of the material along with the music that I utilized. For my quads, I created three instead of two in order for my composition to appear more dynamic and sophisticated. 

I used the 2D Clouds material for the head and the Chanel for the brain. For the brain, I use both Bubble Rings and Chocolate Swirl materials. I also created a control list to modify the Iterations of the Bubble Rings material along with the MP3 file that I imported. For the Chocolate Swirl material, I changed the color to pink so it would match the overall aesthetic of my composition. I focused on how I would make my third scene appear like a visual interpretation of the inner workings of the human brain in a vat when the stimulation is being added to the brain. 



Interpretation:




While working on this project, I had a wonderful opportunity to visualize the deep thought that I have long been pondering. I really enjoyed working on this project because I was allowed to creatively visualize my thought in a detailed manner in my project due to the variety of tools and materials in MadMapper.

No comments:

Post a Comment