Monday, April 17, 2023

Caleb Wang Project 3: Relief Mapping

 









Concept:

For this project, I wanted to connect my projection directly to the art piece. I was immediately drawn to the peace sign in the middle and sought to create my piece around the dichotomy of war and peace. For my three scenes, I took three recent conflicts: The Rwandan genocide, the war in Ukraine, and the protests of Hong Kong. The idea would be that the forehead of the relief would show the conflict, while the peace sign in the middle would showcase a part of that country's culture in peacetime. 

Technique:

Using the provided spatial scan and template, much of it boiled down to creating the proper masks around the edges of what would become the eyebrows, eyes, and the mask for the middle peace sign.
I took advantage of the Gradient 3.0 and the Smoke material, using it on the eyebrows and eyes with intentional color picks. For the Ukraine scene, I put blue and yellow smoke materials to symbolize the Ukrainian flag. The same was done for Hong Kong, with red and white instead. In the Rwandan scene, I used a gradient on the eyes that depicted Rwanda's pre-genocide flag colors to signify the trauma from that time still reflected in the eyes of many Rwandans today. I then put a gradient on the eyebrows to depict the new colors of the flag, signifying a hopeful future. 

Interpretation:

I wanted to create something that was really upfront and held a lot of meaning, going for a more concrete interpretation of the prompt rather than abstract. I really wanted the meaning of it to be in-your-face and a little bit contrary to putting on flashy and cool special effects. It was also fun to be able to work in tandem with another art piece, and seeing them combined together to create something with more meaning is a cool experience. Overall, I think the end result was really what I was going for, and it was really fun to come up with the idea and follow through with a concrete vision.


No comments:

Post a Comment