Sunday, April 9, 2023

Rina Harrison Project 4: Projection Relief Mapping

 Concept: The Environments of TRIGUN STAMPEDE

Early this year, an adaption of one of my favorite Stories of all time was released, an anime called Trigun Stampede. It follows the story of Vash The Stampede, The Humanoid Typhoon, the ultimate pacifist who despite this also became the most wanted man alive or dead on his desert planet of No Man's Land. This adaption is made using almost full CG animation by Studio Orange and it looks visually gorgeous, and something I think they worked with beautifully were the background environments. Trigun's setting is almost entirely a desert, comprised of rolling dunes, ramshackle towns, strange wildlife, and the sun beating down upon the inhabitants, but theyre beautifully rendered in ways that show the wonders and adventures of the Desert Life. 


Process: 

I used the Cyberboard set for my mapping for two main reasons. Trigun's setting is based around the ruins of a much more advanced generation of Spacefairers that fell to the planet, and the circuit board is a very good physical representation of that idea. The second reason is that I wanted to use the LED system in this model compared to Janus's system.
    The backgrounds are all scenes from different episodes of the show, showing the unique beauty of the desert environments, from the rolling dunes to the dieselpunk city ruins, to the natural wonders of the fauna lighting up the night sky. I arranged the clips in the order of the day, starting from the ground into a Morning, then afternoon, then early night, then Midnight to simulate the passage of time.


 Interpretations: 

My interpitation is that you should watch Trigun Stampede.
(I joke, but not as much as you think)

In honesty, I think the way the LEDs worked with this project was one of my favorite parts, not to say there werent challenges, but I think working with the systems in place on this model was a huge highlight. I also would want to reshoot the video with a better camera, I think my phone was unable to capture this in the clarity I would have wanted. Overall, fun project!




No comments:

Post a Comment