Sunday, April 30, 2023

Tately Diep, Rina Harrison, & Yvonne Yu: Project 5 - Context Mapping

Concept:

Synesthesia

The condition known as Synesthesia (more accurately labeled Chromesthesia) is the association of sounds or other stimuli with colors. For some, everyday sounds can trigger seeing colors. For others, colors are triggered when musical notes or keys are being played. People with synesthesia related to music may also have perfect pitch because their ability to see and hear colors aids them in identifying notes or keys.(1)

[Tately]

City Pop was the influence for my portion of the project as it is a popular Japanese music genre that emerged in the 1970s and 1980s and is known for its upbeat and catchy tunes. The song I decided to go with was “Sweet Love” by Junko Ohashi. I decided to go for a blue, purple, and magenta color palette as that is often associated with the genre and can be seen in the album covers and music videos of City Pop artists.


[Yvonne]

I chose the electronic, synth-pop song, Lonely in Gorgeous By Tomoko Kawase for my part of the compositions. While the song maintains a cheery, gorgeous feel, the lyrics are more representative of a lonely, sadness. I used many pinks and purples to capture the upbeat instrumental and match the early 2000s aesthetics of the song. I added visual elements of contrast through movement and color to capture the contrast in the lyrical mood.

[Rina]

My influence for my portion was “I F A Surfer by Mass of The Fermenting Dregs. Known for their garage band hard rock style, they're mostly known for their World Is Yours and New Order albums from the late 2000s. For the compositions, I wanted to capture the intensity of the chords while also paying tribute to the Album cover this song was taken from, with Stark reds, yellows and oranges.

Techniques:

3rd Floor Hallway

2 Projector Set-up

Top Projector MadMapper Scenes

Bottom Projector MadMapper Scenes


For our project, we wanted to play with the dynamics of the hallway on the third floor. We used two projectors to ensure covered the top and bottom of the hallway entirely. To blend the two compositions together, we used Soft Edge to make it appear seamless and created a graduation effect. 


[Tately]

My process was entirely done in Madmapper as I chose a variety of different public assets that aligned with my vision for dreamy nostalgic imagery that would match the vibe of my song.


[Yvonne]

For my three compositions, I began by sculpting and animating the text "Lonely in Gorgeous" in Blender. I then imported my animation into MadMapper and used various public assets for my compositions. I employed many pinks and purples while contrasting them with black, white, and the chrome text. Movement wise, many of my compositions are slower to contrast the faster-paced tempo of the song, which can be seen visually through the Spectrum material.


[Rina]

My process was done fully in Madmapper, with a variety of patterns that emphasized ideas of water with waves, bubbles and ripples. I also wanted to show the Loudness of of the Rock music so I decided to use many Audio Reactive Elements, specifically moving out of the hallway toward the camera to give the illusion of the Sound blasting out of the area, too loud to be contained.


Interpretation:



[Tately]

For this project, I wanted to create a composition that would match the theme of our group and pay homage to a genre of music I admire. Overall, I would say this was a fun process to work with my fellow classmates and experience the challenges of setting up a light show in a new environment.


[Yvonne]

Working on a collaborative project where we calibrate, set up, and take down our work in one session gave me a lot of valuable experience in projection mapping as well as working in a group. I got to experiment with many new things in this project (using two projectors, projecting in a hallway, using Blender), which was fun. I was able to create compositions while also working with others to create one cohesive piece. I am happy with our overall piece, and I learned a lot!


[Rina]

Something about working on a team that you always have to consider is that everyone has an important job and they all bring something to the table, from the theming of this project, to picking the location or who runs the files to how you calibrate, its a wonder what you can do when you share ideas with others.


Source


No comments:

Post a Comment