Monday, April 10, 2023

Michael Bentley: Project 03 Relief Mapping

 Concept


The concept is about a topic I've learned in therapy about the emotional and rational parts of the mind. How sometimes one part can go into overdrive and initiate self destructive habits. I wanted to depict rational mind as the go getter, the task handler, and the emotional mind as the chamber of the hard abstract feelings. For me leaning into this brings me a lot of pain and self hatred and finding that middle ground has been a challenge.


Technique


The first part of this project involved getting MadMapper prepped by calibrating the digital model to the physical object. I started with calibrating the top, sides, bottom, and a few detail pieces to really make the model fit. 



The next part was to import my media onto quads and masking them into the shapes that match the model. Both sides are made to be chaotic to emphasize the serenity in the center.





Finally Texture pieces are added for the final details as well as lines to assume the concept of a cage around the inner-peace.





 Interpretation



My interpretation of this piece is a summarization of the push and pull between mindsets. If there's any sense of peace it's brief and hard to come by but completely possible. The line work adds more intrigue to the center and adds an unease. If there's one word to summarize this project I believe it would be chaotic. 






No comments:

Post a Comment