Monday, October 29, 2018

Leonardo Wallwash - Joseph Wintermote


Concept:
For the Leonardo Wallwash, I wanted to animate a recreation of a Leonardo Journal cover. I looked through the Leonardo History folder on Box.com for one that pulled my interest and found the one below. I really liked how it used saturation of one specific hue of green across the whole of the cover, as well as the distinct wear you can see on the paper. I decided to focus on the line-and-dot pattern that dominates the top-right of the cover. I wanted to place the dots on the background and make the lines come in from off-screen and flow into the dots. I planned to project this solely on the East wall to be used as a background animation for other's content.

Technique:
I started off making guiding circles, then added the lines, using the Sine Fill animation to get the effect I was looking for. Due to the inability for you to make branching chained lines in MadMapper, I would make a line all the way to the end of it's trail, then duplicate it and edit the line from the last circle it went through, repeating the process until I filled the screen. I did this with three independent branching areas, making them intermingle similar to how they do on the inspiration cover. I also made the separate branching areas fill at different times. I then published a recording of it to Siphon, and brought it back into MadMapper. I did this so that the animation could be more easily scaled and moved around the scene. I projected the .mov onto the East wall, added a transparent worn-paper texture over the video, blended the projectors together, and I was done!

Interpretation:
I am very happy with how this turned out! It was a very simple idea, and I feel I executed it effectively. I'm especially happy that I did well getting the correct color saturation effect. The only thing that bugs me is that I had an idea to make the circles expand as the lines passed through them, but I lacked the coding knowledge to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment