Monday, October 1, 2018

Anthony Marin: Dragon Tape Mapping


Childhood Memories


        This installation was created as a immersive nostalgic nod to TV shows and games of the 90s. My initial inspiration was asian styled dragons. From there I remembered the red dragon thunderzord from the Power Rangers. I created this composition and then was also reminded of Mortal Kombat, Tekken and Street Fighter. For my last composition I wanted a more commercial application and playing off the Chun Li theme used Nicki Minaj as a backdrop.



In order to create my dragon tapping, I first found and stock image the dragon type that I was wanting and then pulled it into Illustrator and recreated a low poly version with strokes. From there I was able to export my SVG lines and them place them into Madmapper in order to project to my silhouette into the canvas. I then used black tape to pin the shape of my dragon on the canvas.






In my first composition I began by using a solid dragon shape and changing the color red. I removed the outlines and then gave it a bit of movement giving it a flying feel. I also changed the texture of the dragon to add depth. I Masked of the background wall and inserted a Red Dragon Thunderzord transformation in the background. I laid over a few trippy visuals that gave it a more surreal hazy feel. Dragons need fire so I added a fire breathing layer.


In this composition I played with the same composition style and attempted to change the blend modes, layer order and speed to create variety.







No comments:

Post a Comment