Monday, October 1, 2018

Tape Mapping - Amir Naqi


Monday, October 1st 10, 2018


Amir Naqi - Assignment 2


Concept
Nostalgia played an important role in my project.  I shuffled around a couple of different ways I wanted to implement it, but I knew from the beginning that it was the concept I wanted to portray.  I thought about projecting onto the image of an old-school overhead transparency projector, but I felt like I couldn't quite make use of the real estate in a well-planned manner.  As such, I decided on a design centered around old school broadcasting and media, used especially in the education system.

Technique
I did some research looking at different shapes and designs of my idea.  Once I found a good basis, I worked in Illustrator to create a derivative design that would work well for the project.  After I had the main frame in work, I adjusted positioning, then began taping off.  After I had my composition in an exact native resolution match to the projector, I knew that I could prerender whatever effects I wanted and adjust them so I could achieve my desired effect.  I flipped around a lot between Illustrator, Photoshop, and After Effects.  After Effects allows you to use a feature called "Mercury Transmit" which is literally a way to project your composition onto another monitor or projector.  Tying in the native resolution of the composition and the native resolution of the projector, we got a seamless fit of a projection onto the tape mapping.  After finalizing the design in After Effects, I switched over to OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) to begin implementing the different content displayed within the screen.

Interpretation
I believe that the image produced is one that conveys the style I was going for.  It was a small deviation from the direction I originally intended, but each individual that steps up and puts on their own favorite game has their own interpretation.  That is why I chose to avoid "dating" the project.  As it currently stands, the project stands out as a nostalgia piece for anyone from a longer era.  If I made design choices to reflect a more specific year rather than decade, the experience would not have been the same as it would have been exclusive of the people who grew up a few years prior or after.

Final Thoughts
Overall, I got more hands-on experience with actual projection mapping and am happy with the way it came out.  If I had a whole lot more time available, there are definitely a lot more things I would have added, and I would have extended and drafted out completely different compositions taking upon the same taped form.

No comments:

Post a Comment