Monday, February 22, 2021

Samuel Estep: Projection 1 Background Mapping

 

Concept:

I enjoy wimmelbilders, which are a form of art showcasing large, highly detailed and complex scenes packed full of stuff (stuff like Where’s Waldo).  Originally, I imagined trying to turn everyday surfaces into theses sorts of packed scenes, however I realized that would take far too much time to complete.  My solution was to use a game called Factorio to generate the scene. Factorio is a logistics game all about managing resources, making sure they get where they need to, and most importantly, launching a satellite into space. 

Techniques:

In order to properly space out objects in the scene I had to measure the various features in the image I was working from and then map them out in-game.  Then, I used masks to help clean up anything out-of-place and let smaller objects appear in front of the projection.


Interpretation:

When I decided to use Factorio to create the scene I wanted to create a factory capable of producing both the parts needed to launch a rocket and every research pack in the game, while also stuffing it into the confines of the surface it was being projected on.  Creating a factory capable of launching a rocket isn’t very difficult.  Neither is creating a small factory capable of launching a rocket, or a handful of science packs.  However, combine both launching the rocket AND producing every science pack and I ran ou
t of space.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment