Thursday, February 25, 2021

Ari Aronoff: Project 01 Backdrop Mapping

        Concept: For this project, I decided to create an idea I had while ago: moving posters *wow*. Personally, I am a big fan of anime as I have several anime posters in my room. There's a word commonly used in associated with anime, "Sakuga(作画) which translates to "drawing pictures", but is more colloquially used to describe high quality animation. So, for this project, I took some sakuga moments from my favorite animes and mapped them onto posters in my room with some flashy backgrounds.


        Techniques: Since this was the first project and my first time mapping something, and I procrastinate, I decided to keep it simple this time around. The composition contained 3 main quads, two for the walls and one for the poster. On the quads that mapped the wall, I had to spend some time meticulously masking out my computer and desk area as it was not part of the projection. As for the poster, I used a quad to cover up an existing poster on the wall then mapped sakuga footage onto the quad. I also feathered the edges of them to try and get them to blend better with their respective background.


        Interpretation: 

            Comp 1 - Neon Genesis Evangelion: Neon Genesis has been one of my favorite shows since the very first time I watched it. The scene I used is from the very last episodes where Shinji, the protagonist, has the realization that the world isn't as depressing as he thought it was (or something like that, this version of the ending sucks). During this final sequence he disassociates into the clouds and transforms...from cel animation to pencil animation. While most people hated the penciled frames of the final episode, I enjoyed the small details of the artistry. So, for this composition I tried to create the same cloudy and floaty feel the show did while having the sakuga animation as a poster.

            Comp 2 - Devilman Crybaby: Stylistically, Devilman is easily my favorite anime. Made by my favorite director, Masaaki Yuasa, this netflix original took anime into a whole new direction. The clip I used is from the opening sequence of the show, which on first watch I did not like as it only grew on me recently. I decided on this clip because of the symmetry it had between the two walls I used. 

            Comp 3 - Jujustu Kaisen: Currently my favorite on going show, Jujustu Kaisen brings style and animation onto a whole other level for modern anime. This scene is particular I screamed out loud when I watched it for the first time because the triple kick animation was just that good. The background I tried my hardest to match the main color scheme of the clip to the one of the madmapper video presets.


No comments:

Post a Comment