Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Conner Hill Project 1: Background Mapping


Concept: I have always thought that my leasing office looked like a cool spot to try and projection map some visuals, so I created three scenes that have three different color schemes, to show how the building can become many different things with the help of projection mapping.


Techniques: For this project, I started by laying out some checkerboard quads onto my image. I started with the larger, more rectangle areas, and then began to add more quads to the smaller areas. I then used warping points on the areas that needed a little more shaping. I used masks and quads with the background image to remap the windows and plant so that the projection stays on the wall. I then began to add lines around all my quads, so that I could add some animated colors later. After all my quads and lines were set up and properly hugging the leasing office, I began to apply videos to each section and save the scenes so that I had three different color-themed scenes that could all be faded in and out of each other.

Interpretation: For the first composition, I wanted to create a green scene, so I used a video of a forest that I glitched out. I cut segments of the video and applied them to all the faces, and made the tracing lines green and slow.

The second composition had a red color scheme. I used a mixture of free VJ loops, and some of my own animations to fill the faces of my quads. If the animation wasn't already red, I could easily use the color effects inside Mad Mapper to adjust and get things to match up.

The third composition had a bright colorful theme. I made the lines white since all of the videos were bright colors and I Made the lines Move a little faster since the scene seemed to have more energy.

1 comment: