Saturday, February 13, 2021

Vanessa Le: Projection 1 Background Mapping

Concept:

For this project, I decided to revisit photos that I’ve taken in the past. I used pictures that I took last year when I went to Austin, Texas. All these images are interior based. I like the idea of having projections within a confined area, rather than outside. I feel like there is more space to project on. I wanted to use colors as my theme, but I didn’t want each composition to have the same color palette. So, I based each image off a certain color scheme; monochromatic, complimentary, and analogous. Each photo uses different generators from MadMapper, but each scene and composition uses a different color palette, but keeping the same color scheme.



Techniques:

The process for each composition is the same. I used the quad mask, in order to project a certain area of my image, and adding a mask to cover up any overlaps on objects in the image. I played around with the different settings for the generators that MadMapper had to offer. It felt repetitive using the generators, but using a predetermined color palette for my compositions made the difference.


Even though the generators remained the same for each photo backdrop, the colors were able to set the tone for the environment. Using a different type of color palette, helped me convey the difference it could make for the atmosphere. It helps emit a different feeling for each composition, despite having the same generators throughout.

 

Interpretations:


Monochromatic


This first project is very simple. I wanted to use an easy image so that I could get familiar with MadMapper. It starts off with a light and softer color, but ends with a very dark and heavy palette, which helps convey how colors affect the atmosphere of the room. 


Complimentary


Complimentary colors are one of my favorite color schemes. I used a lot more generators in this one, and thought about the different places I could project something onto this image. When I saw the paintings on the wall, I knew that I wanted to project onto the background. At first I used many different generators, but decided on using a form of repetition instead to make it seem more organized. 


Analogous


For this last project, I wanted to project onto the columns. It looked like fun, and I thought it would be very cool to see if this were to happen in real life. I also used a circle mask onto the back wall and the floor. The composition looked empty by just doing the columns, and I wanted to use a different kind of mask instead of the quad mask. 

 



 

1 comment: