Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Bonnie Abbott: Assignment #2 Tape Mapping

Video



 Concept

At the beginning of this project, I struggled with finding a concept I could spend a good amount of time on. After running a few ideas by different people, I decided on the idea of a storm, lightning, and a fire. I wanted the rain to be peaceful, the lightning to be loud and but have quieter undertones, and the fire to be strong with an uneasy wind in the background. It needed to be a progression of comfort into uneasiness, while maintaining the hope of regrowth. 

Design Process

The design process began with taping the broccoli up. It was a relatively simple design, so I knew the project needed to be complex. I used the projector to establish where I wanted the other broccoli to be, as was as mask off where I did not want it to project. After, I created a template broccoli with a quad for each head, a quad for the stem, and a quad for the whole broccoli. I grouped those quads together along with the svg lines. I duplicated the group and placed the broccolis throughout the canvas. 

            

           


The first two scenes were relatively simple in that I overlayed different textures on the quads. I also went through and added sound reactive parameters to the power of the wiggle in the first scene and the opacity to several assists in the second scene. I rebuilt the quads in the third scene to include an elements of 3D and to give the broccoli some shape. Because the svg lines flattened the now dynamic broccoli, I placed  them behind the broccoli to give it a glow while cleaning up my masking. 



Lastly, I recorded. I shot a couple of recordings and took them into Premier where I adjusted the angle and exposure. I also added the sound file as it was barely audible from my recording. These last few steps made the final resort a little more polished. 


Interpretation

With the amount of layers in the piece, my computer began to struggle, especially during the transitions. In the future, I think I would be more mindful of the size of the layers and the computing power it takes. I enjoyed this project, though I am not happy with some of the masking. I felt it was messy in places but did not allot enough time to fix it. I am still developing an eye for what looks good when it is projected while applying my knowledge of design. I am happier with this project than I was the last, but I still recognize a large room for growth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment