Sunday, March 5, 2023

Yvonne Yu: Projection 2 Tape Mapping

Concept:

For my project I chose a camera as my taped image because I felt it best matched the theme of Paramore's song, The News. The song itself centers around discussion of recent events such as covid/quarantine, racial injustices, and wars taking place around the world. The song expresses the feelings of helplessness, frustration, and privilege that comes from seeing these tragedies take place from the other side of the screen. Additionally, the song criticizes how media airs information and the superficial culture that has developed from it.

taped camera composition

Technique:

I first cut down the original song down to about 50 seconds and then used After Effects to create a lyric video for my compositions. I mostly focused on creating scenes using text and shapes while incorporating a few clips from the music video.

after effects

In MadMapper, I wanted my compositions to focus on colors, the edited video, and line movement. I experimented a lot with different textures such as Dunes, Random, and MadNoise to name a few. I created masks for the camera screen and the camera in order to add different textures to the foreground, midground, and background. I used my vector file to add line movement and interesting light animation to the lines of the camera. I used the bpm and bass of the audio to mess around with the speed and flow of the background and midground textures.

madmapper composition 1

My first composition is centered around the lyric video as I chose to keep it positioned in the screen of the camera or the foreground. I adjusted the color of the textures I used to match the palette of the music video, but adjusted them to not distract from the focal point.

madmapper composition 2

My second composition was focused more on opacity and textures. I left the lyric video in the midground and background while overlaying textures on top.

madmapper composition 3

My third composition experimented with multiple vector image projections. I left the lyric video in the midground for this composition and added three more of the cameras of varied size and orientation.


Interpretation:

Throuhgout my compositions, I aimed to match the glitchy, dream-like essence of the song. I also wanted to use it as an oppurtunity to experiment with imported media by creating the main part of my compositions outside of MadMapper media. I was able to carry out the vision I had for this project and I am satisfied with the outcome. If I went back, I would probably try experimenting with the full song and create a full lyric video composition.


references:

https://youtu.be/YSFa_wOZPXg 

No comments:

Post a Comment