Monday, March 6, 2023

Brendan Paul Project 2: Tape Mapping

 Concepts:

The biggest idea that I wanted to convey through my Project is the idea of the different elements of nature. The tape image that I chose to use was a large dragon design that someone in our group made. In common fantasy media, dragons are commonly divided and categorized by the elements of nature, such as fire, ice, and water. I wanted to show those elements through my project. I chose to display a fire dragon, an ice dragon, and an earth dragon. 

Techniques:

After getting the design sorted out and taped up onto the wall, the first thing we needed to do was outline the shape of the dragon in Mad Mapper. The design has a lot of lines, so this took a a few attempts. After getting the lines made, most of the work went into getting the multiple masks to function correctly. I made a mask to isolate everything outside of the dragon's lines, and one for everything within it's outline. I then went through the Mad Mapper’s designs to pick out fitting patterns and designs for the elements within each scene. I picked out some designs for each of the three elements I wanted to represent in the final piece, fire, water, and earth. After creating all three scenes, I filmed them in action and edited them in DaVinci Resolve with some fitting free music and sound effects I found online. 






Interpretations:

As I said earlier, dragons are commonly associated with the elements within fantasy settings, and I wanted to represent that here though my work. The first dragon is the fire dragon. While a fire dragon can be seen as intimidating as it is seen often burning down towns with its breath, I thought I could go for a cozier, campfire dealing with one. The water dragon after it is smooth and relaxing, like floating on a lake. And the earth dragon is mystic, with forest ambience playing behind the music. I wanted each scene and its dragon to be a calm perspective of its element. 

No comments:

Post a Comment