Friday, March 10, 2023

Project 1: Background Mapping

 Concept:

In this project, I started to learn the MadMapper software and explore the activation of space at the architectural level using animation. I photographed several architectural sites around Dallas and used a low-angle shot of a high-rise as a backdrop for projection mapping. As one of the buildings that use LED lights at night between the window panes, I thought it would be cool to reverse the concept and light up the window panes during the day, leaving the space between (where the LED bars lay) empty. 





Technique:

After photographing several areas around Dallas, I decided to use the OMNI hotel as my backdrop. The area I was working in were mostly square window panels, so I used 191 separate quads along with several triangle mesh’s to cover the entirety of the building. I manipulated the top and bottom edges of each quad to round the sides of the quads to create a more realistic look to the projections at a lower angle. I also manipulated and played around with the animations between each window panel to achieve the greatest effect of projection along the building, and a checkered pattern fit the idea the best. 





Interpretation:

For this project I wanted to start to learn the MadMapper software while creating a composition that I would be proud of, and I achieved that goal. I learned several aspects of MadMapper, and my final product looks realistic. I am really proud of the work that I did, as I had several easier routes to take to cover the building or using the Dallas skyline, but I chose to challenge myself and cover the entirety of the building, manipulate each quad, and add FX to the animation. I have a better understanding of the software moving forward, and I feel like I can continue to grow and learn from this project. 




No comments:

Post a Comment