Friday, March 3, 2023

Tately Diep: Project 2 - Tape Mapping

 Concepts:

My concept for this project revolves around the idea of Nostalgia. I centered my project around the music video of Ditto by NewJeans as I believe both the song and film do a fantastic job capturing the bittersweetness of nostalgia through recorded videos. I created my series of scenes to match the idea of time passing by choosing compositions reflecting the varying seasons as well as integrating scenes that would match the lyrics or setting of the music video.

Techniques:

I did not just want to use the music video in my project. I wanted the video to feel more like a part of my project to make it fit the concept better. I edited the video file in AfterEffects as I added a camera recording overlay to the clips that are filmed from the point-of-view of the main character. In addition, I decided to add captions to make it easier for the audience to understand what the lyrics mean and chose a yellow italicized font to mimic captions on older films. In MadMapper, I kept the scene minimal in complexity as I did not want to make the composition visually overwhelming. I tried maintaining a designated color palette for individual scenes to indicate to the viewer what season/emotion/mood is being portrayed. 

Editing in After Effects

Adding My Own Captions & Overlays

MadMapper Scenes

Interpretations:

For my project, I wanted to maintain the main focal point of the music video but create a composition that would complement it at the same time. Admittedly, my scenes are fairly simple as I only have 2 other quads besides the lines, however after experimenting with different combinations, I came to enjoy what is now the final product. Overall, I am pretty satisfied with my more simple scenes and glad that I was able to implement old skills from AfterEffects into this project as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment