Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Esther Magege: Assignment #2 Tape Mapping

Concept

For this project, I was required to either create or use a design created by someone else in the class and ape it to the wall. In this project, the focus was on calibration. What I needed to do was utilize the geometric shapes of the design to create an audio-visual narrative.

Design Process


In my case, the design was created by a classmate and the design was broccoli. In order to tape the design to the wall, a projector was used to project the image onto the wall and the lines were taped over this projected image. 


    Broccoli Tape Mapping (Design Reina Park)

When creating this composition, I had the music in mind first. I didn't really have a visual narrative that I wanted to portray but rather wanted to focus on creating something that matched the flow of the song. The way I broke up my scenes depended on which part of the song I was portraying.


For my first scene, I just used one broccoli to start. I used two different queues one which was just the outline of the broccoli which I made green and the other was a mask of the broccoli with the stereo material. This stereo reacts to the music that is playing.

I also have a cue that is kind of visible. It is an FX asset with a color control to come in when the beat picks up.


Scene 1 

For my second scene, I added two more broccolis to the layout. I designed it so that each broccoli was synced to a different part of the beat. I created three separate controls for the music and attached each broccoli. I wanted to use contrasting colors and interesting textures for visual interest. The largest broccoli was also composed of two quads: a red outline and a masked material called random. I synced the random material to a control of the music that was set to the bass. 

The medium-sized broccoli remained in the same position as the first scene with the same colored outline but with the addition of a second queue with a masked background broccoli. This broccoli mask contained the material clouds and was attached to the control that affected the treble of the music. 

The smallest broccoli was also composed of two quads, a green outline, and an FX Animation with a square array material. I colored this material yellow and increased the speed of this FX.


Scene 2

For my third scene, I switched up the colors. The largest broccoli now has a red outline. I also inverted the mask so that it took up the appearance of the outline of the broccoli rather than filling it in. For this inversed mask, I applied the Perlin Noise Fun material to it and adjusted the color to a pinkish tone.

For the medium-sized broccoli, I kept it essentially the same as in scene two but the cloud material was changed to the color purple.

For the smallest broccoli, I created a third masked layer, within the broccoli and applied the strobe material to it. This strobe was colored red. I also increased the size of the square array FX Animation and changed it to a brick pattern but kept the same setting for the speed of the animation. I made the outline yellow and the square array green.


Scene 3


Interpretations:  

In general, I was more focused on really learning the different FX aspects of this project. I am not completely satisfied with it because it did take me a while to figure things out. My initial idea for the project didn't pan out and I also didn't manage my time very well so I ended up unable to film the finished product and I do regret that.

However, I enjoyed being able to experiment with the sound and I believe I was able to focus on the intricacies of the music well in the project. 


No comments:

Post a Comment