Sunday, February 11, 2018

David Rake Projection 2: Tape Mapping

Cabinets
Concept:
I saw the Cabinets as a perfect setup to create a piano setup. There are 12 cabinets and that results in just one key short of an C to C octave. I created the piano using a standard USB keyboard, using the keys " ` 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - " I made the piano using Max and it roughly plays the right frequencies.
Jeremiah Baker made a Color randomizer for the tape setup that I could overlay with the piano. 

I also used the cabinets as a piano and played the Nationwide Insurance Jingle. I changed the color of the keys to be Orange when I pressed them and it was inverted in MadMapper to create Blue. 


Techniques: 
In Max, In the Sound Patcher, I recorded the keys as input values and ported them to a bus that would only output specific places based on the input value. When a key is pressed it would output a bang (On/1) and open a gate to let sound through and also trigger a delay to turn the gate back off after a short time. It would also send another bang to a 255 value to an output to input in the visual patcher. In the Visual Patcher, the values sent out from the Sound Patcher would change the color of a visual block to white. All twelve of these blocks would then get assigned a position on a grid (At the same time could be assigned a color for the Nationwide version) and the entire grid would be sent as one texture output through Spout to MadMapper. In MadMapper the grid was inverted in colors to be white by default instead of black. Each Cabinet was assigned to a different section of the grid. When a key was pressed only the corresponding section of the grid would change color and change the Cabinet color





Dual Projectors
Concept:
Within Max I found a built in module to interpret images as starting cells for John Conway's Game of life. I took the line files and recreated them in Photoshop to get the lines darker so they processed better with Max.


Techniques:
I imported the pictures into Max after moving the pictures to a specific Library for Max in Program Data. The picture them got pulled into the Max visual matrix and all pixels that were not completely white or transparent were changed to black. Black pixels served as starting cells for the simulation and the background changed to black and the cells changed to white. The simulation plays out slowly frame by frame and I set a delay to restart it after a short delay so the life cells stayed close to their origin thus maintaining shape. The simulation was ported over to MadMapper via Spout. In MadMapper all I had to do was to align the outputs with the lines since Max had distorted the images.




Llama
Concept:
I really liked creating the interactive piano for the cabinets and wanted something else that was interactive. I thought of the infinity created with two mirrors and replicated that effect with the projector and a webcamera. The first video was filmed during the day.


Techniques:
I put the webcamera closer to level with the tape and masked the output within MadMapper. Using the Tape itself with the camera was too difficult as the camera would just blur any excess light coming in. I added the lines and created a Purple Color with them and created a Purple Tint for the Camera layer as well. How much excess light is present determines how quickly the Purple color blurs and creates the Blue Haze. I tinkered with the color profiles to minimize the Blue and found that a lower Opacity for the camera layer makes all the difference to create the 3D effect. I added a Vertex Noise effect to the Camera Layer in MadMapper to create the swaying effect. I also created two quads that periodically light up for the eyes to help emphasize the backwards movement. The second video was filmed at night and shows how a lower surrounding light level drastically changes the effect.



No comments:

Post a Comment