Sunday, February 11, 2018

Faith Daignault - Project 2: Tape Mapping (Week 3 - 6)



Lion

Concept


     When where we asked by the professor if we had a design to tap on the walls I was one of the first to raise my hand. I knew exactly what would be good for the Tape Mapping project and quickly got to work. I was one out of six people who submitted a design for Taping and my design was a Geometric Lion.



Process


     Getting help from two fellow students, the Lion was place in a good spot in the room and ready to be projected. However, I created the Lion in Photoshop and didn't have the SGV file so I had to create the lines in MadMapper. Once the lines where created the files could be set out for the other students to use if they wished to use the Lion in their project.



     For my Project I mainly focused on my Lion Compositions. I had created a song in my Audio Technologies class last semester that had lions roars in it and I thought it would be perfect for this project. To be able to have the music matching up with the ideas I had I decided to use After Effects. I know After Effects very well from taking Motion Graphics in a pervious semester and was confident that I could make a really cool composition to project on to the Taped Lion. 

     Importing in the image of the Lion that was used in MadMapper into After Effects as well as the music, I got to work setting up the beginning of my composition and matching it with the short phrase at the beginning of the song. Once I was about 15 seconds into the composition I downloaded a plugin for After Effects so I would be able to import the After Effects composition into MadMapper to see how everything lined up and how it looked while being Projected over the tape on the wall.


Both of my compositions are complied into the same video with the song. My song was shorted to 1 minute, 19 seconds from the original 2 minutes 45 seconds because I felt that that would have been too long. When the music was at the right length and faded out at the end I started with lining up the phrase "I am Batman Lion" for the beginning of the song. This phrase is an inside joke me and my partner for my Audio Technologies project on the music did while we where making it. Its fun and seems to go perfectly with my geometric lion. 

I also added a wavelength effect ing After Effects to give a visual effect of the musics wavelength. Changing the style and color of the effect when the music hit large and noticeable beat changes the song provides to keep things different. The animation video effects I recorded previously before starting at the main components of the composition. All different and change in tune of the large beats and sometimes reversing from inside the lion, to the background to keep it from being the exact same throughout and keep the audience from becoming "bored."

After the After Effects was finished, I used the plug in on MadMapper and projected my compositions onto the wall. I made sure everything lined up correctly before making last minute touches before it was completed.


Finished Work







Crane


Concept


     When I first saw the tape mapping of the Crane I knew Immediately what I wanted to do for Compositions 3 and 4. Cranes are a large part of Chinese culture, and mostly seen in Chinese paper folder, often known as "Paper Cranes". Which, oddly enough, was what the tape mapping and design represented. I am sorry that I do not know who provided the design, but I do thank them for letting the class create their projections with it.



 


Process


     Once I downloaded the zip file, posted on Elearning of the crane MadMapper file I seen got to work on laying out what I wanted to do. The lines where thankfully already created and didn't have to work about except for adding animation to them, but that would be later. I decided that I didn't want to quad each individual shape of the Crane and would leave it whole for both Compositions.


     Because I went so far out with my Lion compositions, with the heavy punk-ish music with the fast beats and crazy animation with different colors I decided to go simple. I wanted to go with the Chinese theme I had planned and went on Youtube looking up beautiful video landscape of china. When nothing looked exactly what I wanted I decided to go with the next best thing; The Great Wall of China. I found a amazing drone footage of China a Youtube uploaded and new it was perfect. I edited it down a little so it wasn't so long and added it to the background.


     Cherry Blossom Trees are my favorite type of trees and happen to be seen all across Asia. I found a Cherry Blossom Tree gif online of petals falling from the tree. Slowing the animation down in MadMapper it gave the composition a clean, simple and relaxing feel I was looking for. I found elegant Chinese flute music to go in the background, that might just be soft enough to put you to sleep watching it.

     We where also asked to add commercial component and add text to at lest one of our Compositions. With having the Great Wall of China footage in the background, I added text to the bottom which fades in and out for effects. Its also a great way to promote visiting the great wall of China.

     For my 4th and final composition I decided to continue with the same calm and relaxing vibe as the pervious composition. I kept it very simple, using elements and animation that MadMapper already provides.


    I added two background layer masks for the background components. I didn't want just one simple animation playing in the background, I wanted two. The main background is soft flowing wisps and changing the color to a darkish pink to match the theme of Pink I wanted to go with this because of Cherry Blossom Trees. However, for the second component of the background I decided to add the complementary color of pink, which is a lime green. This gives the background more pop in color and doesn't over saturate everything in just pink. The green help breaks it up. The green lights almost remind me of fireflies.

    For the quad mask of the crane I added two as well, one for the soft solid color and the other of an animated gif of falling cherry blossom petals. They blended nicely together when i took down some of the opacity of the background crane quad so the petals could be seen. After everything was finished with the background and the inside of the crane I added animation to the lines. I found a soft fade of the lines as they moved to one point to another. Soft and transparent, slow in movement to match the rest of the compositions. It also helped that everything lined up nicely with the same music I used in composition 3. With that, both compositions of the crane where completed.


Finished Work

 




All Compositions - Finished Work




No comments:

Post a Comment