Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Kuo-Wei Lee Project 2: Tape Mapping (Week 4-6)



Before the project start, this project called Tape Mapping. 
Therefore, it's important to do the first step: Tapping!

I chose Origami Crane as my first pattern, Origami (折り紙, from ori meaning "folding", and kami meaning "paper" (kami changes to gami due to rendaku)) is the art of paper folding, which is often associated with Japanese culture.


Once I finished my draw in adobe illustrator(Ai), I turned the file into Madmapper, and then set it to the proper position which we would like to represent. After that, we projected it on the wall as a reference to start tapping.

Tapping Timelapse


Origami Crane

Concept:

I really addicted to using adobe illustrator, and this project basically base on "low poly art" style, which I love it very much. Therefore, I tried to use extremely simple way to compose my first art work: line. There's is a function called blend tool in the illustrator. I mostly used this function to present my tape mapping project. The art I created I name for Blending Vector Art which almost just use simple vector lines to create artwork.

Crane Composition 01: Vector Crane with Minimalist Style

Process:

I used blend mode in Ai to try and draw patterns. There are some patterns I think is good to use in my project.

Blending Vector Patterns

Then I exported them as a SVG file which can be imported into Madmapper to become a line set, and there's the process:

Vector Crane Design Process

Vector Crane

Crane Composition 02: Vector Crane with The Starry Night

Concept:

This time, I would like to try something different, I would not only make the object(Crane) alive, but also make background vivid. Then it reminded me that the artist, Vincent van Gogh, whose artworks are very famous on bold strokes. I think that I can take advantage of Madmapper and illustrator to create a vivid starry night.

Vincent van Gogh, The Starry Night

Process:

I used the starry night not just a background, but also the reference which I created a new blending strokes on the top layer to play in Madmapper.

Blending Manipulations in Ai

Process

The Starry Night



Cabinet Design

Cabinet Composition 01: Vector Cabinet with Minimalist Style

The second setup I picked Scott's cabinet artwork to design my composition. Just the same way as previous Crane work, I used Ai to generate the potential blending patterns for this work.

Blending Vector Process


I really love this artwork, so I did several iterations on it, cannot choose which is the best one. Therefore I posted them all on the blog!

01
02
03
04

Cabinet Composition 02: Commercial Presentation – ripple


https://ripple.com

The world’s only enterprise blockchain solution for global payments.

Concept:

Ripple is a real-time gross settlement system, currency exchange and remittance network by Ripple. Blockchain is a digital decentralized ledger, a technology behind bitcoin or any encrypt currency. The p2p connection inspired me to create this artwork.

Process:

I used this molecular animation video from youtube to present that the point to point connection.


Animation from Youtube

ripple Process

ripple Preview



No comments:

Post a Comment