Monday, February 12, 2018

Omar Davila - Project 2: Tape Mapping

Concept

Crane:

I loved the design for the crane from the get-go. Upon seeing it, I knew I wanted to make something related to an airline or comfort, so I mixed both concepts into the Shining Coast Airline Lounge projection. I also wanted to make something that resembled a TV bump. I started tinkering around and went for a retro callback. 

Llama:

The llama instantly looked like a Nightclub show piece in my mind. I decided to tackle it as such, initially wanting to sync it to dubstep, but I ended using a synthpop song instead. For my final projection, I wanted to do something starkly "trippy", starting with a kaleidoscope effect.

Process

Crane: 

For the Shining Coast projection, I started by making a motion graphic of a map of the Pacific Ocean as the background. I continued by adding shadows to the paper crane and texture mapping its surface to look like polished stainless steel. I reached out to my friend Maritza for the vocal track and then I added sound effects around her voice work. Finally, I created lines that were synced to the general audio amplitude.

For the MTV Projection, I began with a video of a concrete wall. I then created graphics for the background in after effects. After tinkering with the colors, I saw a playful MTV bump in the making. I then picked the "Fresh Prince of Belair" theme song, and synced lines to it. Lastly I added a gif of the MTV logo.

Llama:

For the Nightclub Llama, I thought of rave clubs having an obscure logo that sync to the music of the DJ. I chose "These Bones" by Dead Astronauts as the background song and added lines synced to it. The strobing eyes are synced to the tempo of the song.

For the Trippy Projection, I recorded a video of my brother's eyes and superimposed them onto the llama's face. I then mesh warpped a photo of a llama's face underneath. The background was made on aftereffects, using kaleidoscope effects and two looping videos.The song is "Chamber of Reflection" by Mac Demarco.

Interpretation

This project taught me a lot about audio programs and physical audio equipment alike. Looking back, I can certainly see uses for 2D Projection, such as for museums, theater, airports, nightclubs and other public spaces. I had a lot of fun creating each piece, working towards feel for each.

No comments:

Post a Comment