Monday, February 12, 2018

Falak Jamma - Project 2: Tape Mapping



Crane 01 Concept

I chose the crane design knowing that it symbolizes hopes and dreams within it's country of origin, Japan. With the first composition I wanted to display Table Tennis, one of the biggest sports of East Asia. It isn't just a game for many of them, it's a lifestyle and it is their dream to succeed.

Crane 01 Process

For this first composition I chose a strong dreamy track which incorporated Table Tennis balls and synced masked portions of the crane to the sound of the balls hitting the table. Using After Effects and some footage of Olympic matches, I added variation and offset between 13 layers of video and Alpha Matted them to individual Crane portions, using those to sync.



 After Pre-Compositing I Duplicated and added a harsh glow to the layer underneath, giving the composition a dreamy glow. The Original Crane File was very large so I rendered my after effects comp at 25% scale and applied that as a MadMapper Media file.


Crane 01 Context


Crane 02 Concept

Using the same concept of hopes and dreams, I also wanted a to add a more darker take. This composition is based on Icarus of Greek mythology who flew too close to the sun with his wax wings.

Crane 02 Process

I brought the crane into after effects and masked a solid over it, which I distorted slowly throughout the comp. I also added some glitching to this as well, I rendered this and brought it into MadMapper and used it as a background layer to the crane. I also mixed in a cloud effect behind the crane along with lines in the foreground that had a subtle uneasy shake. And a speed up blobby generator, to show emotion within the crane.

 Crane 02 Context


Crane Interpretation 
Though both of these compositions where about hopes and dreams, these compositions show just how much differently these simple words can possibly be interpreted. I really felt good about the timing and subtleness of the first comp, and the overall mood and contrast between the two comps.


Lion 01 Concept

I knew for a fact that I wanted to use the Lion when I first saw it. It was extremely well done and tapped. I had the idea of making the lion a sea-lion in a sense and make the theme for both compositions liquid/water, soothing fluid-like compositions. For the first composition I wanted to sync up some music to the lion becoming liquified.


Lion 01 Process

Using Adobe After Effects I used a turbulent displacement effect, syncing that with the music. I also subtly transitioned between a solid blue and light blue lion, using a solid mask under the lion image. I also needed to invert the lion image and use the add layer style. As a final touch I added a glow and rbg an split that only reacted to points of movement.







After Rendering this and bringing it into MadMapper, I added animated lines over the whole thing which had the reverse effect on them.  

Lion 01 Context

Lion 02 Concept

I decided to use this composition as my commercial comp. I went with the idea of making it a water bottle company with a lion being their logo.


Lion 02 Process

I used a liquid simulation I made using the program Real Flow and brought it into after effects as a obj sequence, then I used a plugin called Element3D to apply the simulation to the after effects comp with a shader.



I combined this with the text "Drink More Water" and rendered it out and brought it into madmapper


In Madmapper I added  water like effects to the composition, like caustics and animated lines that resemble streams of water flowing.
Lion 02 Context:


Lion Interpretation:
I really liked using the theme of water and think i can get away with using more larger scale liquid simulations in the future, maybe interacting with the wireframe of an object. 

No comments:

Post a Comment