Monday, February 12, 2018

Elizabeth Stegall: Assignment 2 - Tape Mapping


For all four of these creations I wanted to have a similar theme to them, that theme being music and simplicity. With the designs being geometrically intricate I wanted the motions of the center piece and the background piece to play off of each other in color, movement, and tempo. I wanted this assignment to be fluid.

Llama/Concept:
For the llama I wanted to resemble the cover of Donald Glover's Awaken My Love album while implementing the music of Daniel Caesar.

Llama/Process:
For the llama I used Daniel Caesar's Japanese Denim for my llama's first soundtrack and wanted to put a pulse to the projection map. I went to Photoshop and individually colored and isolated all of the shapes inside the artwork and manipulated the opacity by playing with the key frames of the song and binding the individual shapes to different volumes to the song so the whole llama wouldn't light up all at once creating the pulse of the music. I then rendered the video and placed a blue moving mask to give the video a bit more dimension. I then added an audio reactive arc around the llama to give it an Awaken My Love-esque feel. I gave the whole scene a glowing blue color to give it a slick vibe.




Llama 2/Concept:
I wanted to go with a more grey scale that went along with the style of Frank Ocean's latest album Blond.

Llama 2/Process:
I wanted to implement words into this piece so I used the simple title of the cover an placed it on the top in full view. With this projection map, instead of animating the blocks within the geometry, I wanted to animate the lines that make up the piece. I calibrated the speed to go along with the volume of the song and to give the map motion I used the line repeat quad and synced it with the BPM. I gave the whole piece a gray color scheme to fit the theme of the album cover.




Crane/Concept:
I wanted to give the crane figurative flight with the use of lights.

Crane/Process:
I once again isolated the geometric shapes within the crane an went to adobe After Effects where I tried a different method to make the transitions smoother and a bit more control on where I wanted these shapes pop up and when to disappear. I followed the beat to Daniel Caesar's, Get You, to make the piece have a calmer tone. I then tilted the diagonals mask to give direction to where the crane is flying while giving it a more pinkish hue.





Crane/Concept:

I wanted to create a very fluid/circular projection map that I use to get an image's silhouette to be the centerpiece.

Crane 2/Process:
I wanted to do something similar as the 2nd llama with using the whole piece as an attention grabber rather than the taped object. I used the same arc as I did for the first llama however I turned the audio reaction off to make the rings thicker and move on their own. I then took out the lines that create the object making the object rely on the foreground and background to be legible. I then animated the lines of the crane to Frank Oceans's Monks to come out boulder if the volume is turned up. 





Interpretation:
For all four of these creations I wanted to have a similar theme to them, that theme being music and simplicity. With the designs being geometrically intricate I wanted the motions of the center piece and the background piece to play off of each other in color, movement, and tempo. I wanted this assignment to be fluid.




No comments:

Post a Comment