Monday, February 12, 2018

Maritza Soriano- Assignment 2 Tape Mapping

Concept: 

Llama:
I thought the Llama was an interesting design. It looked really fun and unusual. At first I wanted to go with something kind of crazy and "trippy" however I definitely toned it down in my end result. Finding Music to go with the llama was definitely hard, since I was trying to stay abstract, but ended up with a straightforward message in one of my compositions. The songs that I had chosen were Childish Gambino's "Earth's Oldest Computer" from his Album "Because of the Internet" and Kanye's "Flashing Lights" from "Graduation"

Lantern: The Lantern intrigued me with its complex geometric design, I saw it as an interesting Challenge to tackle. I wanted to use a song that had lyrics pertaining to fire. Originally I went for Paramore's "Let the Flames Begin" but settled for Flyleaf's "Set me on fire" since it was a little more straightforward in its opposite imagery in the lyrics.

Process: 

Llama: 
The llama was relatively simple. Most of the quads were already set up, so it was easy to just go in with effects and fiddle around until I reached a point I was satisfied with.





This picture above was the first composition I worked on. The default file used a cloud "background" and I liked that idea so much I rolled with it. I was brainstorming ideas for what song could go with this piece, and originally Gambino and Kanye's songs were switched. However the more I listened to "Flashing Lights" The more I began to build a story about not belonging and yearning to find home. This also lead to the eventual usage of text to bring awareness to the National Runaway Safeline. I added my own vocals in order to add in my own story and tie the piece together.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wcp_8tMbJDmKHaNBUSM7au4dTJQdIQF2/view?usp=sharingThis second piece was the second composition I worked with. I thought the more electronic and almost robotic music fit this piece more, especially with the flashing lines running down the llamas face. I really enjoyed the colors in this one. This piece uses primarily cool colors that remind me of neon signage. Lantern: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AE4mYjXLtS_29TjN-5f0KWe3Qei5YQGI/view?usp=sharing












The Lantern was a BEAST when it came to setting up Quads. I ended up with a lot of groups on this one. But it didn't prove to be too much of a hassle, thankfully. I wanted to try my hand at a more cohesive piece, so I wanted to contrast two compositions within the same musical accompaniment. The lyrics to Flyleaf's "Set me on Fire" start by detailing a dark and cold world, and then eventually calls for the fire to be lit. I tried to be as contrasting as I could without being too overboard. So I went with similar effects, but with a cool vs warm color scheme. I quite enjoyed the bronze coloring in the warm toned composition. It has the feel of metal.

Interpretation: Overall this project was very fun,  and has taught me to think more about what my compositions should be vs where. I also learned to use my masks in order to achieve my desired affect vs warping my quads and trying to fit them into a small piece of geometry. I also learned that I need to be extremely careful with my presets, since I can destroy a lot of progress if I don't pay attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment