Sunday, February 11, 2018

Raymond Allen: Projection 2 Tape Mapping

Concept:

  • Crane01 (Shaded Crane)
For the original crane I wanted to attempt to simulate shadow on a flat white surface using nothing but the projection lighting.  It would be a rough simulation of lighting in a 2D space and would require some prior research to understand how light is manipulated around a crane.  Because I wanted to use this effort to really emphasize shadow I didn't want a noisy background to distract from the piece so I opted for a simulated drop shadow instead.

Lighting I would attempt to emulate in the Shaded Crane

  • Crane02 (Linear Crane)
On the second crane I wanted to play around with line direction and see if I couldn't give the crane a sense of 3D form with animated materials.  
  • Llama01 (Gothic Llama)
On both Llamas I was going in without any prior thought except for the fact that they were ripe for characterization.  The gothic llama would ultimately be conceptualized because I really wanted to see what a gothic llama would look like.
  • Llama02 (IronMan Llama)
Although it wasn't preplanned, the second concept on the llama came about a lot easier.  A classmate referred to batman in her piece while demonstrating it to some of us in class so I knew right then and there I would want an Iron Man Llama.

Honestly I did not spend too much time in the concept phase because once I started working on the first piece which I planned meticulously, I was having so much fun with the process of work that the ideas came about naturally.

Process:

  • Crane01 (Shaded Crane)
I attempted to use some stock materials in MadMapper to pull off a shadow effect.  Unfortunately there weren't any flat surfaces in the material library so I had to import a perfect black 1080p image of my own.  Once I had a flat black material I went about finding ways I could simulate the shadow.

The best way I found was to capture the rgb values of the crane image I provided and convert it to a percentage, I then took that overall grey scale value that I came up with and put that in for the transparency value on each quad.  The result is a basic and very simple shade, but it accomplished what I set out to do. 

I also decided because this one accomplished a goal I originally intended that it should also be the commercial composition I wanted to do.  Of course I chose to commercialize projection mapping. My only complaint about the text incorporation in madmapper is that it is painfully basic.  I had a total of maybe 3 options to manipulate the text module.  I also had to mess with the input panel a lot in order for the text to become remotely legible.

Workspace for the shaded crane

  • Crane02 (Linear Crane)
The Linear crane was a product of placing a large number of quads and masking out their overlaps.  This was made simple by importing the quads from the pre-existing crane that I had made. Once lined up I applied the noisy barcode material and then reoriented any quads that were not correctly aligned for line direction.

I also utilized a simulated drop shadow beneath the crane in this composition as well, but because of the noisy background it doesn't stand out as much anymore.

Linear Crane workspace

  • Llama01 (Gothic Llama)
For the last two projections I made I incorporated inverted mask primarily.  It allowed me to keep the original perspective on any material I placed on them and that resulted in easier manipulation of the input panels to get the outcome I wanted.  The llamas weren't going to incorporate text into their compositions so I was able to use the text module as a blank black texture in the Gothic Llama. Ultimately the composition was left majorly in the grey scale.

I also animated his lines and background to give the composition a bit more activity and interest.

Gothic Llama Workspace

  • Llama02 (IronMan Llama)
As soon as I knew I wanted to do an Iron Man Llama I looked up the best iron man RGB pallets and started blocking out my quads.  I used larger quads in this composition and more complex masks that I would then convert to inverted masks.  Once I had all my quads and masks made I used animated textures coupled with the RGB values I pulled off of the web to give my llama the iron man treatment.  I also animated his eyes with the strob material to simulate a booting up and booting down sequence. 

Iron Man Llama Workspace

Interpretation:

  • Crane01 (Shaded Crane)
The shaded crane was the most fun for me.  Ultimately it came out exactly as I was hoping it would.  The shading effects created through different transparency levels made a basic lighting representation and that's what the original goal was.  The wording wasn't as strong as it could have been, and wasn't laid out as strongly as it could have been.  Had I have known the limitations of madmappers text modules I would have started the project off in photoshop and imported the image in.


  • Crane02 (Linear Crane)
The directional controls over the linear effects makes the final piece feel 3 dimensional.  It almost feels like the crane itself can be plucked out of the composition.  The line changes coupled with the careful scaling and angle control of each quad brings real depth and form to the crane. Throw it on top of a flat but animated background and it brings the form to life.


  • Llama01 (Gothic Llama)
The llama looks extremely gothic. As I have said before I did not go into the llama with much  more than the impression than it can be characterized extremely easily.  The black make up coupled with the long black hair takes me back to some poor decisions in high school. Still, coupled with the line animation and subtle eye effects, this gothic llama has more depth than it did before. It feels like he has something to look forward to.

  • Llama02 (IronMan Llama)
I spent a large majority of this project focusing on color muted assignments and this composition was really an attempt to prove to myself that I can work in a color space. I did the research for Tony Stark's color pallet and applied it here with different animations.  I'm convinced I can show this to other viewers and they would immediately know what my inspiration was.  The animation choices may be questionable, but still aesthetically pleasing, but there is now doubt that I turned a flat white Llama into Iron man.

No comments:

Post a Comment