Monday, February 12, 2018

Vic Simon - Project #2 - Tape Mapping (Week 4-6)

Vic Simon - Project #2 - Tape Mapping (Week 4-6)



This blog is a record of my creative process and learning in accomplishing the second project of five in ATCM 6395.001 - Special Topics in Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication, Projection Mapping. (Spring 2018)

Week #4 - Intro

This week consisted of multiple students (graduate & undergraduate) stepping up to the challenge of ProfScott to populate 3D Studio with multiple calibrated tape outline installations (TapeMaps) on multiple flat surfaces. (i.e. - Tape Mapping 'SandBoxes')

The Graduate studs, (KuoWade and Ritwik), got TheBall started with their "Crane" offering. ProfScott offered his "Cabinet". 

TheYoungins responded with a cornucopia blast of 4 more ~ Lion, Llama, Lantern, and youngin' Pablo crescendoed with his "Duo" (A dual projector set-up challenged by ProfScott)! 

"This is an opportunity to impress P.Scott." 

Kudos to all my fellow studs who gave time & effort to provide us with 6 awesome TapeMappingSandBoxes!

Images of the 6 'sandBoxes' (tape setUps):

Crane



Cabinet



Lion



Llama



Lantern



Duo




The rubric for Project #2:

2 compositions  each from at least two of the tape setups saved as presets in Madmapper. Blog presentation outlined as follows

Concept
Process
Interpratation (sp - Interpretation)
At least one of the compositions should be commercial in expression and incorporate text.

Document

Madmapper Composition Videos
Context video of your projection Mapping
Screen Shots and Images as needed to support your presentation


ProfScott gave us a great lecture on the hardware & Technical aspects of Projection Mapping.

For my two offerings, I chose the Grad "Crane" and YounginFaith's stunning LeoLion!



Week #5 - MrVic's "Crane"("Crane Air" & "Sandhill Cranes)

Concept

My concept with MrVic's "Crane" was to start simple and to build from there. I wanted to explore the powerful lines element in MapMapper which I was familiar with from last year's "Breathless" experience in all four of my compositions. And in an attempt to keep up with the YoungIns' amazing Content generation, (individual poly manipulation & animation), in Abobe Creative Suite's Illustrator (AI), Photoshop (PS) & AfterEffects (AE), I engaged the help of KwoWade in learning in AI shape blend workflow (Thanks KW!)

I also wanted to explore more deeply the powerful audio sync capabilities of MM.

And of course, I'm all about VisualStory, so I used foundVideo (Youtube) to activate the spaceFrame on my last three comps.

Process

I took the basic crane svg into AI (with KW's guidance) and activated the inner forms of the Crane polys using the BlendShape tool, exploring several different combinations and parameters. I used ovals in the 'centers' of the Crane's polys to blendMorph. (Note - Exporting back to svg, you lose the curves and get rectilinear equivalent approximations).

Exploring all these methods, I created two comps of "Crane" using this combo of lines, audio, & video.

Interpretation

My first Comp, "Crane Air", is an homage to a Red, White & Blue Airline & Airliner using a bilateral ,  stereo airplane noise track. I also used a text element to fill the commercial square. Although, I was disappointed. I tried to create a bigger scrolling text logo, but ran into transparency issues?

Here is a link to a Syphon-ing of "Crane Air":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImeGM7hZ4Cw&feature=youtu.be

I am more proud of my second comp, "Sandhill Cranes" which highlights actual audio and video of magnificent California "Sandhill Cranes" and their distinctive 'calling'.

Here is a link to a Syphon-ing of "Sandhill Cranes":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnob1KYrv7w&feature=youtu.be




Week #6 - MrVic's"Lion" ("Sopranos/Bungle" & "TheWire/JungleFever")

Concept

My concept for my second comp Duo, MrVic's "Lion" was to explore much beloved cableTV series of the "Urban Jungle" in America, utilizing chosen highlight video clips of "The Sopranos" & David Simon's "The Wire" to activate the spaceFrame of the "Lion",  juxtaposing two pop songs against the clip dialog. I used "Bungle In The Jungle" (Jethro Tull) and "Jungle Fever - Instrumental" (Chakachas) respectively. This AudioVideo pairing was juxtaposed against the central taped, sound-synched dancing "Lion" element !! 

Process

At first, I used separate audio and video tracks in MM, having to convert mp3 audio into mp4 formats to import into MM. Because of looping effects of different run times and the Audio & Video, I took them into Final Cut Pro to create a merged, timed track. Much Better.

I used similar yellow motifs on the Lion's outline lines, synched to 'bass'. But layered it with a color split motif (Warm Pink, Cool Cyan) contrasting to two cousin comps, synched to 'amplitude' 


Interpretation

I am deeply proud of these two comps and believe these two cousins, "Sopranos/Bungle" & "TheWire/JungleFever". I believe they honor and express creatively, homages, to two of the much beloved, and POWERfull cultural icon statements and masterpieces. 

They both share & represent expression of the reality of the 'UrbanJungle' through blockbuster cableTV media to millions, in two similar interconnected psychographics, but different (but interconnected) demographics. 😈

Both are 'semi-fictional' inspired multi-season epics, both educational AND entertaining. They both TellTheStory of existing and surviving in the "Jungle Streets" of America! 

I hope you agree.

Here is a link to a Syphon-ing of "Sopranos/Bungle":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8LYAaGIodY&feature=youtu.be

Here is a link to a Syphon-ing of "The Wire/ Jungle Fever":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TZZbRL2lzg&feature=youtu.be

No Audio ??????


Here is a video of actual projection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO1o1Asp0Ko&feature=youtu.be



Enjoy.



Gratitude to myFellow ProjMap Studs and P.Scott !

In DeepAwe(andFEAR) of YoungIns !! ðŸĪŠðŸ˜Ž

3DStudioWorkPartyOn!


No comments:

Post a Comment