Sunday, January 21, 2018

David Rake: Projection 1 Backdrop Mapping

Concept:
Over Winter break I traveled to Morocco to visit my sister and got plenty of beautiful pictures of the landscapes. I loved the view from my sister's balcony. It peers over part of the city of Rabat and looks almost straight at a Mosque. Although noted that projectors wouldn't reach as far as I mapped I still strived to highlight the building shapes and edges. In addition, to the work in Mad Mapper, I created a type of visual sound synthesizer and imported it live from Max.



Techniques:
I started with two quads on the far left building that I chose to map and set up the perspective. I used the quad mask and control point snaps to mask only the building and take the windows out. I duplicated this process on the building in the middle. The building on the bottom and back right were created each with a single quad and mesh warping. I masked out the buildings and windows but also masked out the red trim on both buildings. On the First Display I used contrasting colors as well as the Max Display. On the Second Display I sampled colors from the buildings around to created projections that blend better with the surroundings. 

For the Max Display I split what I made into three separate parts. The First Part creates the background of colors. Its created with noise that is distorted, spun, and blended. The Second Part takes audio input (such as music off of my phone), duplicates it three times, then delays each duplicate. These duplicates get converted from Max's audio language to Max' video language and each duplicate gets applied to a different section of a scope creator that controls the colors. These two videos get meshed together. The Third Part makes the video into a texture and refreshes it live on a plane. It also uses a plugin that Mad Mapper recognizes called Spout that lets the video be transfer through the programs.









No comments:

Post a Comment