Sunday, January 21, 2018

Sarah Wall: Projections 1-4

For Assignment One, I chose two different sets of images to practice dropping in the presets. My first image consists of a student's cardboard wearable I photographed for the 3D Design class last semester. The second image is of the Angelika film theater. Both screengrabs are combined in the video at the end.

Concept One:
Every semester the 3D Design course has a cardboard wearable parade to show their creations off. I think a collaboration between this class and the other for a proper show in the ATEC Auditorium. With the idea of moving subjects being in mind, I thought of this video which uses "The latest work to utilize real time tracking and face projection mapping using a state of the art 1000 fps projector and ultra high speed sensing". If each student could walk across and take a spot on the stage, to then each have a projection be shown to create a visual story is my vision.


As this was my first image, I tried to just familiarize myself with the tools as I watched along to the Madmapper tutorials. I did basic mapping using the quads tools. I utilized the snap quads feature, rotate, and different blends to have different armor effects. 

Concept Two:
This idea was more general than the previous. For the theater name board and lamp post, I wanted the effect of a spotlight going across each one. That preset seemed too general for the windows, so I decided to choose a more modern square preset to fit with the theater's style more. 


Utilizing the mask tool while inside the quad, allowed me to use the preset on the windows without showing also on shrubs by the left or the lamp post. 

Video Screengrabs:


For Assignment Two, I learned to NOT get pneumonia during your first weeks at college because you lose a week and half of your life. I created a lantern in illustrator and photoshop in hopes I could become more familiar with creating my own designs. I used a real lantern for reference and changed it so some of the angles weren't as harsh. I also added a candle and flame to give it a more rustic vibe.


I started to play around with the lantern files in Madmapper: 



After I created that, I eventually ended up with pneumonia and lost track of time. I did go on to create a 30-second multi-composition piece with an edited song track, video, and Madmapper files for my promotional piece of the assignment. I timed the chasing lines and video transitions with the beat of the song in Madmapper and in premiere edited clips together from Tom Odell's music video I wanted to promote. I also edited visuals I found from the cool program I found called RemixVideo by MixVibes. I recorded each saved preset to put them all together in one Premiere project. In the end, I had three different saved preset compositions within the 30 seconds:





For Assignment Three, I had a clear vision in mind. I wanted to craft another piece fit to a song like the Tom Odell piece I did. Projection Mapping is much more fun if it is to music in my opinion. One of my favorite artists is the singer Aurora. With her song "Half the World Away" in mind, I wanted to construct a scene that was almost otherworldly. Using footage of a galaxy and footage of the earth spinning, I placed a barge floating across clouds that I animated in after effects. The boat would travel across the long wall from the left side of the room where one half the earth is spinning to the other half on the other side of the room. This was to symbolize when one is far away from someone they love, it feels like they are they are a galaxy away even though they could just be on the other side of the planet. For a final touch, I masked out a video of a butterfly, animated to travel and land on the barge in after effects.  The playlist of each video is below: 




For Assignment Four, using simple graphics and the song "Glisoli" by Sigur Ros showing the transition and resiliency of the mind was my goal. Choosing the face sculpture and using a combination of well-chosen gifs, I edited most of these effects in Premiere. It was a simple concept that was then made complicated when my brain asked: "well what if there was a solar system above the head to symbolize how expansive our thoughts can take us away?". To appease my own brain's vast thought process, I then animated planet doodles in after effects to move in the form of a circle around the sculpture. 



Bonus Content: This is for another class but I wanted to show it here anyway because I am happy I feel inspired enough from a class to take it elsewhere:
http://snw150230.wixsite.com/portfolio/final-project

No comments:

Post a Comment