Monday, January 22, 2018

Omar Davila: Project 1 Backdrop Mapping

Concept:

This project was a great starting point in projection for an architecture fan like me. UTD has many spaces that often lack character, life and attention, and has buildings that lend themselves for projection. These spaces could be brought to life in the form of art projections, announcement boards or interactive experiences for students and visitors. I chose two spaces on campus that are often forgotten. For the first, I took a photo of the side exits for the University Theater. For the second, I took a photo of a tiered-garden space at Founders.

  
University Theater

Founders

Technique:

In the software, I set up quads for the major surfaces I was going to be animating on, and then went to Photoshop to create masks for the different layers. Then I added effects to the images and messed around with color and animation settings in order to learn the ins and outs of the program. For the second projection, I went into After Effects and synced music to the scale of text reading "Welcome to UTDallas". Then, I brought it into MadMapper and fit it onto a quad.

Interpretation:

At first I had no idea how to use the software, but after some exploration, I feel comfortable with the interface for the most part. With my knowledge of video editing software, I feel confident in my use of this software for future projects. Projections in random parts of campus would look awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment